Mystery Frame 1989 753

daccordimark":3u0u54ao said:
unless Dave Rayner had short arms.
maybe, he was a yorkshireman after all ;)

the reason (I was told at the time) the pro teams abandoned deltas was cos mechanics hated them - after all they were very fiddly to install a cable. Campag even gave you a special 3.5 mm allen key for the clamping grubscrew. I loved Deltas - they almost had an ABS feel, never locked the wheel but had tremendous stopping power. What I wasnt to keen on was the brake lever that was able to run cables through the bar tape or externally. To run concealed cables, the inner wire had to bend over a pivot to change the angle. This sharp bend would eventually cause the cable to snap when you least wanted it (as I found out on a hairpin in Majorca). The other fault was the strong springing in the calipers that would make your hands tired if you spent lengthy periods on the brakes.

Retro Guru - you've got a very sharp eye, the man with the slightly shorter arms than Dave Rayner would be me - I swapped it out not long after getting the bike. Looking at some of the pics, an unpainted alloy one might be a better look.

As for the delta's I've always found they worked better than anything else I tried back then, the comment about them being ABS like quite apt - you simply couldn't lock the front wheel. Of course there's their unique look too.

citrixccea":hef6yq8k said:
There's no Raleigh Head badge, and no sign of there ever being one ?

Forgive me butting in ; (hello Road section by the way ; first post here :D ) but didn't Raleigh 753 frames have a sticker instead of a metal badge? I recall either reading or hearing that ; due to the tubing being too thin to drill for the rivets. Lovely machine you have there ; from the period when I was on the road myself.

Thanks Kampos - that would explain the lack of marking on the head tube - what do the rest of the crew think ? I'm sure as heck not drilling or riveting :)

Mine's got two holes in the head tube where the metal badge pop's in.Mine keep popping out rivets not done properly! There's also two small holes on the inside of the fork crown and two on the inside of the rear stays.I understand that these were needed to let heat escape when being brazded.

My slightly older SB5xxx in 753 also has holes for rivets. I think the difference is that by the late 80s/early 90s Raleigh had largely stopped using the thin metal badge that was riveted on, in favour of a thicker plastic one that was glued. I have another SB7xxx in 531 that has a glued-on badge, and a Team Castorama in 653 that has the same glued badge.

Strangely, the 753 does not have drilled forks. As far as I can see, it is the only steel fork on any of my frames that does not have any drillings in the fork legs. So, it seems that the only rule is, there are no rules!

What a lovely bike!! Keep it original ! I have a 1985 Team pro in 753, Pretty much as the original owner bought it back then and I'll never change a thing despite a bit of 'patina' here and there :LOL: you can never get that back ;)
I've had a few late 753 SB bikes recently and from '86 on they all have stick on headbadges (which all fall off) they are just stuck on with copydex type adhesive.
Shawn.

Hi,

Thought i would get my 2p's worth in - have you decided what you are going to do with the bike. Unless i missed something, that has yet to be mentioned. Usage has to be an important part of the plan. For example - you could use the bike daily with clinchers and keep the period wheels good for special occasions. My personal belief is that usage should decide how you restore it. On a smaller scale, i am still finishing my Raleigh but i changed the BB from cup and cone to cartridge as i plan to use the bike. This loss of periodness IMO is worth it for usage purposes. Sorry for giving you more to think about but i believe it is the most important question you should ask yourself before you reach into your pockets!!!

What are your plans?

BTW love the bike - a lot!!!!

Richard

Back