1991 Team Marin

Narhay":w77aeogc said:
The right shifter for the 7 speed rear cog has had some issues. It shifts ok but when I move the large lever to move to a bigger cog wheel, I have to pull it back manually so something with the spring load isn't functioning properly.

Not unheard of for early Rapidfire shifters to be mis-behaving. Unfortunately the early models are quiet complex to take apart

This is true.. what works for me is to remove the pod from the lever with an allen key then flip it over and unscrew the little screw to show the workings. Then at this point put down any tools that you might be holding because if you undo the hex bolt you're asking for problems. Instead I flood it with lube spray whilst clicking the levers and that usually sorts it.

Marin017_zps8a8b7d6a.jpg

New 36 tooth chainring

Marin021_zpsed3d15fb.jpg

Marin020_zps78b9e2ad.jpg

Old one. Are the shortened teeth and wear a concern?

Marin019_zpsb3222d45.jpg

Marin018_zps956dd38e.jpg

Old 46 tooth ring. Looking ok?

Marin022_zps780447bf.jpg

New salmon kool stop pads.

While testing the pad I found that the rear rim has a flat spot, that is a dent in the rim and the whole wheel 'swoops down' a few millimeters as it spins in that particular spot...I am considering replacing the rim but if I cannot find an exact copy (and it's looking out of my budget to find 2 NOS Araya RM-17 32 hole rims), I would want to replace both the front and rear rim to be symmetrical.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_ ... sort=price

Are any of these direct replacements for the rims I have now? I'd like to spend less than $100 for the pair but less is always more to me.

Yes that middle ring looks well past its best and overdue for replacement. Big ring looks OK for now, depending on how much you'll be using it?

I'm know next to nothing about rims but if you're patient then decent period replacements will turn up for sale on here or on eBay ;)

Thank you for the replies. I am pretty excited about the whole endeavour but the dented rim situation is bumming me out a bit as it delays the project. Anyone know of a reasonably priced direct replacement? I can adjust the brakes of course for a narrower or thicker rim but something about the same size and look would be ideal. I did find a single 32 hole RM-17 on ebay but $80 for a 22 year old rim...dunno. It's not completely out of the question but I imagine rim technology has improved to the point where $80 into two modern rims would surpass the previous generation.

I went ahead and purchased the rhyno lite rims in 27mm width with silver sidewalls and black top. Looks good with the rest of the componentry. I was going to order them online but a local store had a pair for sale and it was cheaper when you factored in shipping. Swapping them over wasn't bad and I was able to use the original spokes but I am pretty bad with truing and tensioning wheels so I might drop it off at the shop once I assemble it completely to have them trued and gears and brakes adjusted while they are at it.

Other than the wheels, I am waiting for the handlebar in the mail and my cone wrenches. Should be up and running soon!

Looking good so far. A black bottle cage would be better than the blue one in my opinion. What do you think? That would match the rims and tyres.

Now thats a colour scheme you don't see often! A nice find! Liking the rims but I agree with the black bottle cage or no cage at all!

Wook

Back