Raleigh RSP R700 (Reynolds 853) frame/fork set £195 ONO

Yes, it's been sold. And delivered. And swooned over :D
I do like my quirky bikes, and this'll be built up as a best bike with nice new bits on it, hopefully it rides as nice as everyone says :)
Can find feck all information about them though. A bit more info on the oversize tubed frames around, but I can't find any other skinny 853 R700 around apart from CX ones.
I think the plan will be to build it up, ride it for the summer and then strip it and get the frame refurbed later in the year. It's pretty good condition, but not quite 100%, and if it rides nice, it'll be a keeper. Sod all this disposable carbon, I'll sacrifice a pound to have a bike that'll last for ages!
Will put some pics up once it's built up in the next few weeks :)

Carlos":3pogb4sp said:
Yes, it's been sold. And delivered. And swooned over :D
I do like my quirky bikes, and this'll be built up as a best bike with nice new bits on it, hopefully it rides as nice as everyone says :)
Can find feck all information about them though. A bit more info on the oversize tubed frames around, but I can't find any other skinny 853 R700 around apart from CX ones.
I think the plan will be to build it up, ride it for the summer and then strip it and get the frame refurbed later in the year. It's pretty good condition, but not quite 100%, and if it rides nice, it'll be a keeper. Sod all this disposable carbon, I'll sacrifice a pound to have a bike that'll last for ages!
Will put some pics up once it's built up in the next few weeks :)

That'll be great, to see it built up. Bikemeister2000 is the one to talk to about these, he was product manager for RSP at the time. :)

Forum Member Gil_M can produce the Raleigh frame decals; they are based on a scan of an original decal that I got from Bikemeister2000. My son turned the scan into useable artwork and Gil made two decals for me.

Mat can tell you more about the frame, from an expert riders prospective, but from my own inexperienced point of view the 853 is a stiff, sure footed and sharp handling frame. I can't compare it to a modern carbon frame, as I've not ridden one, but I am certainly delighted with my 853 workhorse.

I have made a few changes to mine since this photo was taken, but you get the general idea.

DSC_0143.jpg

That is nice looking :) It's just nice to see some effort gone into the finish (even if it is a love it or hate it scheme!) as opposed to mass produced carbon copies (pun intended).
It does seem as though there are a few more of the oversize ones around. Do you know your frame number? Mine starts SC, which is odd because from what I gather, the special products are SB and the regular ones are completely different letters.

To be honest, I wouldn't go so far as to do a complete respray - it'll never be able to be replicated quite right, and the decals are fine. It just needs a bit of professional touching up around the back of the BB and seat clamp areas, nothing major.

Annoying that the listing said 27.2 seatpost, so I've bought a Thomson Masterpiece, only to find it's actually a 27.0! I'll find a way :p

565769_10152453735030014_1090430791_n.jpg
mine, only picture I have of it at the moment. Excuse the added cat. He was watching me train.
(FWIW, it's effectively a 20.5" frame and I'm 5 9. And it's made to measure)

Been all over with that, it's now on its 5th groupset.
Chorus, DA, DA, Ultegra, 105.......... probably done the thick end of 100000 miles on it. 6 or 7 full race seasons, then another 7 or 8 years as my favourite bike. (Prefer it over my "best" bike, an RS6 Pro, which I've recently retired, as I never ride it!)

My frame number is the usual single letter and four numbers. The letter denotes the year of manufacture and mine is 1999.

Drop a PM to Bikemeister and he should be able to help you with the frame number. He was able to tell me that mine was sold as a frameset, to a member of staff and then to identify the most likely member of staff, that is some memory!

I have changed the wheels to Easton EA50's, the F&R mechs are now 10 speed Ultegra and the seatpost is now a USE Alien, plus it has a pump, a tiny tool kit, F&R lights and a Garmin mount.

NeilM":zv9az86p said:
My frame number is the usual single letter and four numbers. The letter denotes the year of manufacture and mine is 1999.

Drop a PM to Bikemeister and he should be able to help you with the frame number. He was able to tell me that mine was sold as a frameset, to a member of staff and then to identify the most likely member of staff, that is some memory!

I have changed the wheels to Easton EA50's, the F&R mechs are now 10 speed Ultegra and the seatpost is now a USE Alien, plus it has a pump, a tiny tool kit, F&R lights and a Garmin mount.

Bikemeister2000 seems to have gone AWOL, no sign of him since early january, and no response to any messages.

He has a Ti version of this bike;

DSCF1267.jpg

That one was custom sprayed.

An R800 in all original condition recently sold on the bay for just over £500!

Back