replacement car question

mountainbikerjohnnyb":2zgta2ru said:
My parents owns a 2003 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDI SE MPV, owned since new , and only thing to go wrong with is a handbrake cable that became slack due to towing, averages 35-40mpg, towing a 6 berth caravan 25-35 mpg, amazing to drive, has some get up and go, You can pick up a 2003 lowish mileage one for about £2000, great cars
And I've had awful experience of similar Kia models from that era. If you're gonna get one, own it only whilst it's still under - admittedly generous - manufacturer's warranty, otherwise, I’d go with something that truly does have good reputation for reliability - like Toyota or Honda.

Neil":1frp2m8i said:
mountainbikerjohnnyb":1frp2m8i said:
My parents owns a 2003 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDI SE MPV, owned since new , and only thing to go wrong with is a handbrake cable that became slack due to towing, averages 35-40mpg, towing a 6 berth caravan 25-35 mpg, amazing to drive, has some get up and go, You can pick up a 2003 lowish mileage one for about £2000, great cars
And I've had awful experience of similar Kia models from that era. If you're gonna get one, own it only whilst it's still under - admittedly generous - manufacturer's warranty, otherwise, I’d go with something that truly does have good reputation for reliability - like Toyota or Honda.

I think I might seriously look into the Toyota Avensis verso, something along the lines of a 2002/2003 plate. I hate changing cars I would love the money to get a new one.

Alison

Chopper1192":23d8c3oo said:
Cars are an expensive pain in the arriss. I can't for the life of me.figure why some people get a boner over a car.
And yet you bought a Discovery 4?? In other words, something that costs a shedload.

Isaac_AG":1g1aeld3 said:
Neil":1g1aeld3 said:
mountainbikerjohnnyb":1g1aeld3 said:

I think I might seriously look into the Toyota Avensis verso, something along the lines of a 2002/2003 plate. I hate changing cars I would love the money to get a new one.

Alison
From that era, Nissan Almera Tinos make good sense, too. Awesome reliability and solidity - look similar to the Scenic and Picasso from that era, but generally better put together.

They are very dull, mind - but if you can stretch to the slightly updated model around 2003 / 2004, have the reversing camera, which does truly make parking a breeze. But yes, also - the Toyota Avensis verso - seem to be somewhat rarer.

Alison, get sumat with a (recent) Skoda badge, or failing that, anything Jap. Never had anything go wrong with my Subaru's, or the Nissan or Mazda I had. Never owned a Toyota, but they should have the same reliability, if a little 'boring'.... :cool:

I used to be a Nissan technician. Do not touch 'em is my advice - the Renfault generation ain't built like the older cars used to be.

Indeed, having spent time working a 's technician for Nissan, Rover, Vauxhall, and Jaguar I would say that at the bottom end of the market were chewing over here the original brand makes little odds what you choose. Even on the best brands a decade of neglect and abuse will reduce every single one of them to the same level - sheds.

I'd sooner have a decade old cherished for Poxhaul than an abused Toyota the same age, thank you very much.

Check the service history on a car that age, but also check the other subtle indicators. An OE or quality oil filter (Mann and Hummel, MAHLE etc) is a good sign, cheap brands and anything orange is a sign things have been done on the cheap. The tyres, are they decent brands with at least the same make and type on each axle and preferably all 4 wheels? Yick Yack Woosongs or a mish mash of different tyres aren't an indicator of a car that's been maintained lovingly.

When it had its cambelt (assuming it's not a chain-cam motor) did they fit New idlers, tensioners and bottom pulley, or were they penny pinching and just changed the belt?

Also check the garages named in the history really exist. Fake stamps, invoices, and even ready stamped fake service books are easily and cheaply available today from places like eBay and few people have the nouse to spot that one.

Perhaps not such a problem on a Fiesta or Corsa, which at 10 years old are more or less disposable, but if you want a larger more complex car you want one that's been looked after properly, not run on a shoestring.

Forget looking at the badge - you need to be a lot more savvy than that when buying a decade old car or you'll just inherit someone elses old nail.

LikeClockwork":2xq4t5yd said:
Alison, get sumat with a (recent) Skoda badge, or failing that, anything Jap. Never had anything go wrong with my Subaru's, or the Nissan or Mazda I had. Never owned a Toyota, but they should have the same reliability, if a little 'boring'.... :cool:

My brother did say don't touch anything from the VW group as they are inclined to have electrical faults. Buthe did recommend buying Japanese. Edit: I don't mind boring I'm no Jeremy Clarkson about cars :D

Chopper1192":2xq4t5yd said:
I used to be a Nissan technician. Do not touch 'em is my advice - the Renfault generation ain't built like the older cars used to be.

Indeed, having spent time working a 's technician for Nissan, Rover, Vauxhall, and Jaguar I would say that at the bottom end of the market were chewing over here the original brand makes little odds what you choose. Even on the best brands a decade of neglect and abuse will reduce every single one of them to the same level - sheds.

I'd sooner have a decade old cherished for Poxhaul than an abused Toyota the same age, thank you very much.

Check the service history on a car that age, but also check the other subtle indicators. An OE or quality oil filter (Mann and Hummel, MAHLE etc) is a good sign, cheap brands and anything orange is a sign things have been done on the cheap. The tyres, are they decent brands with at least the same make and type on each axle and preferably all 4 wheels? Yick Yack Woosongs or a mish mash of different tyres aren't an indicator of a car that's been maintained lovingly.

When it had its cambelt (assuming it's not a chain-cam motor) did they fit New idlers, tensioners and bottom pulley, or were they penny pinching and just changed the belt?

Also check the garages named in the history really exist. Fake stamps, invoices, and even ready stamped fake service books are easily and cheaply available today from places like eBay and few people have the nouse to spot that one.

Perhaps not such a problem on a Fiesta or Corsa, which at 10 years old are more or less disposable, but if you want a larger more complex car you want one that's been looked after properly, not run on a shoestring.

Forget looking at the badge - you need to be a lot more savvy than that when buying a decade old car or you'll just inherit someone elses old nail.

Sage advise, thanks, I will consider all you have said :cool:

Alison

Back