Chain cleaners, do they work?

02gf74":1plex5bt said:
I have one of those. never used it, bits of it a strew over the garage floor.

total waste of time and money IMO. A can of motorcyucle chain lube (grease dissolved in solvent so it is thin enough to penetrate the chain link), spray it on the side plates whilst spinning the chain, wipe off and job done.

(I used to clean chains in paraffin but that took out the grease so that you can hear it grinding - seems it is more difficult to get the grease back in where it is needed than to remove it).

the cleaning chain debate rages on every bike forum with the cleaners one one side and the non-cleaners on the other - noone has yet proven that one method is better than the other.

I've not seen them, but then I don't go and look ;)

I don't think it about what is better, but what works for you.
Mine only get cleaned when it's thick mud that will not come off or it sandy or and eclipse of the moon.
I used to take them off more often when I only had a couple of chains and switch them about. Bought more now so not a problem and they stay on longer (and rust over more often :facepalm: )

It is a quick and easy method for me to get the chain surface clean before a lube. The three brushes scrub it up nice and good (mines like the one above)

I think I'd rather buy a new chain than go to the trouble of that Sheldon Brown link!

I just use degreaser, old toothbrush, hot water, thorough greasing and jobs a good un!

I've used this for years without a problem

2FEFCAF6-66CF-4A56-8C17-DCF3900710F2-3801-000005153464A54B_zps092104f8.jpg

Shove Fenwicks in the top. Spray GT85 afterwards to expel water. Then oil up. Carry on....

Back