1988 Marin Palisades Trail

Just picked up a Palisades Trail, looks identical to the pictures above - car boot sale - good condition, chipped here and there and bits of rust, but rides well - interested in any other views and how to date it?

(I also have my original Bear Valley, the one with the shiny black paint, 1988 (or 89, can never remember) - first bike, hence my interest in this Palisades of same sort of time))

Just bought a Palisades Trail from car boot sale - just like pictures above Exage red frame, black forks all decals intact a bit chipped here and there and some rust around but looks good with original running gear, brakes etc.

How do you date them? From the comments, guess 1988?

Interest is more for me as I still have my original 1988 (or 99 can never remember) Bear Valley, the black one with the shiny black paint, which was my first mountain bike and got me back into the saddle after my teens, even more moons ago.

Sorry, just noticed, repeated myself (another sign of old age), but yes, never set the world on fire but definitely nostalgic! And, it actually does run really nicely, smooth, quick enough, all the gears click into place nicely etc - well pleased!

leaftop":1upr5o21 said:
Sorry, just noticed, repeated myself (another sign of old age), but yes, never set the world on fire but definitely nostalgic! And, it actually does run really nicely, smooth, quick enough, all the gears click into place nicely etc - well pleased!

glad to see another one saved, get some pics up, there aren't enough pre '89 Marins on here ;)

what is the frame number, it would be good to compare with mine, you may have to lift the bottom bracket cable guide to see it.

Oh and btw I'm in the club, got an all red palisades (not trail. I assume I have the model down). It has a u brake under the chain stay, and takes narrow rear axel. Bought as bike less wheels off gumtree after it was outed on here.

In process on building her up, with minor spec improvement.

2012-11-25-031.jpg

Yeah, that's the one - same colours - funny oval front sprockets (I remember them as an innovation - for five minutes!) and the under-the-frame back brakes (also remember the general criticism that they would get clogged up more easily down there and were subseqently moved back up top - maybe they didn't have mud in California) - but excellent - will put pics up soon, thanks for interest

Just got myself a 1988 Bear Valley (louvred Decals and U brake). Fully original and resplendant in Exage Mountain!

Frame, fork, stem and bar are back from the Powdercoaters tonight!

Decals (from Gil) going on tomorrow...

Swopped the whole bike for four Landy tyres...

Good work, bagged myself one the other week, just in the process of getting the seat post out, it's now moving which is a start

Back