Crazy talk

I think an older frame with a new groupset can be done tastefully. I've long admired the bikes that Feather produce and I know it isn't an old frame, but it is retro styled and constructed properly and then adorned with modern stuff...anyway have a gander at the bottom of the link for a bit of inspiration...

http://www.rapha.cc/ricky-feather?locale=UK

As for the general idea of fitting modern components to retro frames.... why not?

I find the whole idea of slavishly sticking to correct chainsets and components, down to the last nut, bolt and fixing utterly bizarre. If I were restoring a significant bike then that's a different matter, I have restored motorcycles and cars in the past, and spent hours hunting out the right switch or light or door panel etc. But in the case of a practical ride-able bicycle, what is the big deal with fitting modern components?

Why bother with old bikes at all? A bike is not just the frame and forks.

52/42 or 53/39 chainsets are for racing not general pootling around. I mean what did people do in the old days before "compact" chainsets if they wanted lower gears? That's right, they fitted touring chainsets with smaller spiders, which many manufacturers offered, even Campagnolo had their Victory and Triomph models. For even lower gears you would have a long cage touring rear mech which could handle bigger sprockets than about 24.

fiks":2h6nx4bx said:
Why bother with old bikes at all? A bike is not just the frame and forks..

I ride older hand made frames for two reasons; I like the style and I think they are the best value for money you can get.

A bike is what the builder makes of it, in my case I choose the ease and connivence of some modern componentry and the style of an older frame. I actually see this as a natural extension of what club lever racers have been doing for decades.

NeilM":871qq3ei said:
fiks":871qq3ei said:
Why bother with old bikes at all? A bike is not just the frame and forks..

I ride older hand made frames for two reasons; I like the style and I think they are the best value for money you can get.

A bike is what the builder makes of it, in my case I choose the ease and connivence of some modern componentry and the style of an older frame. I actually see this as a natural extension of what club lever racers have been doing for decades.

+1. I like the 'feel' of steel frames over alloy or plastic bikes. I think it's a personal preference what gruppo you fit to the frame. I've got older bikes fitted with period correct parts and modern bits. Each to their own.

there!......modern kit on retro frame?

7099467645_51f9831bd2_z.jpg

markyp":25070nh3 said:
there!......modern kit on retro frame?

7099467645_51f9831bd2_z.jpg

To me, that's a modern bike.

Any steel frame (even if it's old and/or has a horizontal top tube) fitted with all modern parts is a modern bike.

I think the Master equipped with a modern gruppo would be perfect for your European adventures after all you have already done most of them the hard way anyway. :D

If you're having trouble finding a modern understated chainset (Shimano have basically lost the plot), take a look at the SRAM Rival OCT Compact on my LeMond in my signature. I think it looks pretty clean and simple.

Latest posts

Back