identifying Old pros bikes.

Good thread.

I always wondered who made those ANC Peugeots - truly beautiful bikes from an era of beautiful bikes.

Stedlocks - Stonehenge cycles in Salisbury may have a sister bike to your Gazelle. I didn't get to see it but apparently it was ex Dag Otto Lauritzen.

The Raleigh Gran Sport frame I'm advertising on the forum apparently came from someone involved in the TI squad - it's a 1982 model and had the initials PW on the top of the seat tube - to the best of my knowledge there's no TI Raleigh member with PW initials in 1982 - Peter Winnen in 1983, but 23.5" is too big for him. The story was that TI Raleigh folk were given 2 Gran Sports to train on. The wheels that came with the frame added a bit of gloss to the rumour - Campg Tipo on Mavic Monthlery Pro, tied and soldered - just the sort of thing you could see a pro training on back then!

I have Joey McLoughlin's EX ANC Halfords Bike its currently being fully restored, there are a few numbers on the BB shell but mainly date a stamp its a 1987 bike. I cant say who built them, but they used stronglight rear ends which where not common in the UK. Have tried to make contact with Phil Griffiths at Yellow as he could clarify, but not had a reply yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aln1974/85 ... otostream/

Re:

Woz":1jl13c1g said:
pigman":1jl13c1g said:
David B":1jl13c1g said:
The ANC-Halfords "Peugeots" at the '87 TdF were apparently built by Brian Rourke; there are no doubt countless other examples out there both at home and abroad.

David

you may be right. I remember a clubmate using malc elliots anc bike as a winterbike well into the 90's and we were amazed that a 753 chromed-stay bike lasted so well. However, I distinctly remember the lug & dropout styling being reminiscent of peugeots, so they must have insisted on it looking like a pukka pug.

Yep. I can confirm BR built the ANC team bikes. From memory, there was the BR head-tube logo at the rear of the seat-tube hidden behind the stays and they had the distinctive wrap over stays. Same goes for the Moducel team; Potteries based like ANC was,.

No dont agree I own one see my pics of the frame

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aln1974/85 ... otostream/

Yes sorry meant Simplex, and just to add although an ex-pro frame very comparable to a Perthus Pro. Even the plastic BB cable guide is French which makes me think it was built in France.

Latest posts

Back