Where do you keep you cables

russ77

Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
So when you buy a new length of cable it comes beautifully coiled up. I then cut off the lengths that need, usually leaving a piece that is long enough that I think I might need it some day. Same goes for the old bits I'm replacing.

Now I've got hundreds of off-cuts that I keep in an old plastic bag. They pierce their way out, launch themselves across the shed if coiled up. I can never find a useful one again.

Does anyone have a system for storing cable outers? Should I throw the lot away and start again?

Coil up then wack some insulting tape round the end when it joins the coil , hang on a nail tadaaaaa !

I've got an old pringles tube that I keep ones that are up to a foot long (300mm) in. Only keep 5 or 6 of each (brake & gear) and throw the shortest away. Any longer then I'll coil them up, again only keep 5 or 6, and hang them on a couple of short stoage hooks.

Pringles tube... Of course!

I need the people from "Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners" to visit and ask, "Do you really need this 4" length of rusty brake cable? Really?"

You're right - I need to throw some of this stuff away.

a length of 1.5" plastic waste pipe attached to the ceiling of the shed

I just buy my cable by the box. Plenty of it (40 metres), and nicely packaged too. I paid around £40 for the 2 boxes (one for gears, one for brakes).
I just cut 1-2" too long at first, so I have some wiggle room. Once it's at the right length, the leftovers go in the thrashcan.

shimano-slr-5-mm-brake-cable-outer-grey-workshop-roll-of-40m-IMG21132.jpg

Raging_Bulls":3kbxbyhm said:
I just buy my cable by the box. Plenty of it (40 metres), and nicely packaged too. I paid around £40 for the 2 boxes (one for gears, one for brakes).
I just cut 1-2" too long at first, so I have some wiggle room. Once it's at the right length, the leftovers go in the thrashcan.

shimano-slr-5-mm-brake-cable-outer-grey-workshop-roll-of-40m-IMG21132.jpg

Exactly what I do, works out better value too.

Bits worth keeping; cable-tied and hung in a Tesco bag from a nail in the shed...

...rest go in the wheelie bin.

Back