replacement car question

It depends how well it's been cared for, how it's been stored. I've seen some low milers that were in appalling condition, aircon inoperative, brakes unduly corroded, oil mayo'd up, simply because they were't being driven sufficiently and were parked outside instead of a decent garage. Yet I've seen high mileage motors in prime condition.

So my answer would be take it on a car-by-car basis, judge each in its own merits, as low mileage doesn't guarantee you a sweet car any more than high miles guarantees you a knacker.

It's a problem for me at the mo. Out main car is a Discovery 4, and we've a wee ickle Peugeot 107 as a 2nd car, which mainly gets used for foul weather commuting by myself. Woman has been unwell lately and can't drive, and on my own I can't drive 2 cars enough to keep both in good order (batteries charged, brakes clear of undue corrosion, oil regularly heated to evaporate out the moisture etc), so the 107 has been parked up in my sisters heated garage along with my brother-in-laws motorbike collection, which is a much more benign environment for a vehicle not in use.

I would sell the 107, but my 3rd daughter is 17 in just under a year and as a group 1 car it'd be ideal for her so I'll bear the embuggerance and hang on to it.

TBH, if it weren't for a disabled wife and a 20 month old sprog I'd gladly not own a car at all. The grief and expense of running a car for me is about as sexy as paying the gas bill.

Russell":88qov36s said:
I've bought two new cars this year. One has been a disaster, the other so far good as gold. I'll write more later when I'm not on a phone!

So...

Car #1. Mercedes, 05 plate bought from a Merc dealership. They sold it when new to a 'lady owner', she had it serviced by the dealer at the correct intervals and was the only owner. Below average mileage. Should have been a no brainer. In 5 months of ownership, its been back to the dealer once a month for various faults. Bane of my bloody life. If I hadn't have had the foresight to pay for a warranty, it would have cost me £2k in repairs already.

Car #2. '02 plate Volvo, high mileage, no service history, 5 owners. Its been great so far.

My advice? Ignore service history and milage. Take it for a good test drive and have the AA or a friendly mechanic look the car over. Take your time, there are loads of motors about, don't rush to buy one.

We have a 2001 Volvo S40 and it's been a nightmare it's cost £500 to £600 at every MOT and is due to have another MOT in July and it's got brake problems and gear stick problems, we get some dosh in early May so are hoping to get something better. Funny this had a full dealers service history.

Alison

My experience with cars reliabilty over the 25 years i have been driving can be summed up in one line.

Renault, most unreliable i spent more time with the service manager than with my Wife , most reliable those with a Honda badge.

I have a 1990 mk2 golf with 20k on the clock and a 2001 passat estate with 210k on the clock both have been serviced regularly and maintained well and both are great! :)

My parents owns a 2003 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDI SE MPV, owned since new , and only thing to go wrong with is a handbrake cable that became slack due to towing, averages 35-40mpg, towing a 6 berth caravan 25-35 mpg, amazing to drive, has some get up and go, You can pick up a 2003 lowish mileage one for about £2000, great cars

mountainbikerjohnnyb":12mgxmzf said:
My parents owns a 2003 Kia Sedona 2.9 CRDI SE MPV, owned since new , and only thing to go wrong with is a handbrake cable that became slack due to towing, averages 35-40mpg, towing a 6 berth caravan 25-35 mpg, amazing to drive, has some get up and go, You can pick up a 2003 lowish mileage one for about £2000, great cars

That's another my brother suggested, not sure having such a big engine would be very economical though. I do like the look of them though.

Alison

Back