The bike locking rears its ugly head again....

LeeDevelopment

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I'm about to start commuting on the push-iron to work again, where at my last office I could happily leave my bike unlocked, at the new offices I can't, bugger!

The bike park is underneath a government building and it's a gated check point Charlie before you can get into it, it forms part of the underground car park for the workers in the offices above. Now although it's a government building I don't trust these workers as far as I can spit!

I've been looking at the 'Fahgeddaboudit' bike d-lock and popped to Evans yesterday to have a gander, blow me down, it's one heavy piece of kit. So.....over to you guys....I have QR wheels so does this necessitate a chain lock as well as a D-lock? (I.e. more weight to carry). There are bike stands to lock the bikes to. I will probably be opting for non-QR wheel skewers too shortly.

Can you recommend a good mini-D-lock please? Then it comes to carrying the damned thing, I'm thinking of popping this stuff in the bike's Carradice zipped-roll saddle bag as opposed to bolting something onto the frame (it's a gorgeous paint job you see!).

Any words of wisdom?

get a nasty p.o.s bike and a crappy lock ...if it gets knicked not too much grief.i can go throu most locks with a bolster chisel and lump hammer in seconds.if some one wants it bad enough it doesnt matter what lock you have ,they will get it eventually.

TranzX do these security skewers. They bolt in the place of your QR and need a special allen-type key to open (uses an Allen key with 5 sides as opposed to the usual 6)

04202206_4f915f70993f4.jpg

Available in black or polished alu. Also found as generic knockoffs, but those are just as good, if a bit heavier. I believe they are retailing at around £10-15 on Ebay

My bikes are all equipped with these, and I absolutely swear by them. Make sure you keep the key with you though, or fixing a flat will become a nightmare.
It can be attached to a regular keyring, so that's where mine is.

As for the lock, I agree with Gibbleking. A determined thief will get through any lock. So I use a generic beefy cable lock.

590710.jpg

I wouldn't worry about weight, just leave the lock attached to the post each night. It'll still be there in the morning.

I think that's fairly standard practice for regular journeys.

I found one of the above locks on the floor last week, sniped on the joint looked like a easy clean cut, years ago I had a small oxford D lock and locked my bike up in the back yard and lost my keys (Brother threw em in next doors garden found out 15yrs later) :roll: had hell of a hard time getting it off.

poweredbypies":xqou85s5 said:
gibbleking":xqou85s5 said:
get a nasty p.o.s bike and a crappy lock ...

+1 to this

Paint it a gawdy colour, remove everything of value, replace quick releases and put a basket on it, even a carrier bag over the worn holed seat

Back