Wheel spacing

legrandefromage":1y4654b2 said:
beard and white jeans optional.
I have to admit to using a disguise based on the John Thompson character " Johnny Nice Painter " in an emergency :)

I did try puting a 135mm hub and 8 speed cassette in my old Marin. It did fit but the chain did rub the seat stay in the 8th cog. So now it have a 130mm rear hub making up a rear wheel.

bm0p700f":1kxw53zs said:
I did try puting a 135mm hub and 8 speed cassette in my old Marin. It did fit but the chain did rub the seat stay in the 8th cog. So now it have a 130mm rear hub making up a rear wheel.
I dont know if the hub body is the same on a 130mm as a 135 mm and just the axle length is different ? this is a 7 speed wheel but the frame was a 6 speed .

Perhaps any wheel builders out there can tell me if the dishing is the same ?

Cheers Paul

If the hub came in 130 and 135mm versions then the hub shell will be the same. Dishing may be affected if the change in spacing is not equal each side. For example 4mm added one side and 1mm on the other will require a redish. 2.5mm added each side will not require a redish.

So if you have clearance issues with 2.5mm of spacers each side then a redish will be required as you add more spacer to the DS than the NDS.

legrandefromage":2o4w72ft said:
Just spread the stays. Just remember the below method for wheel removal:

file.php
Strewth. That Morris Dancer is going to kick that bike!

I have a problem the other way around... I have a M732 with an axle for a 130mm frame, but need an axle for a 135mm frame... Perhaps swap ?

About the dish: I had a 135mm wheel with a White Industries hub and had it narrowed down to 130mm... I didn't rebuild the wheel, I only had it re-centered and it works fine... The dish is not the same on every wheel.. as far as I know the DX hub and body are the same for 135mm and 130mm... only 5mm more of washers.

Back