Is flying really scary?

Just make sure you crash above an Hawaian island, then they can make a TV series out of it.... :shock:

I did a couple of flights (long haul) last year in a couple of those huge 380s. I've flown in slightly smaller jets, but I have to say, on landing, the really big behemoths feel skittish as hell - well they did on the ones I landed in, and at least until the computers kick in / correct.

It never ceases to surprise me, just how much wings flex in flight.

Flying is pretty amazing and hardly ever that anything goes wrong. Stick to BA. ;)
Take off is the best in that its a steady acceleration then you just lift off which feels pretty cool :D

I think what most people hate about flying is that you cant rely on yourself to save yourself if it all goes pear shaped.Boats sink but there are life rafts etc or even swimming Cars crash but not every crash is fatal. Buses and trains are pretty much safe with built in safety margins.

Flying once with Tarom airlines [Russia/Romania] one of the cabin crew went to sit down on a crew fold out seat. She unfolded it and as she sat down the chair ripped itself out the wall and she fell onto the floor.
Nobody laughed :LOL:

Isaac_AG":1jgv3pvd said:
Why does anyone dare go to even France on a plane knowing they are so flimsy?

If planes were not 'flimsy' they would fall out of the sky. If you can handle a mild rollercoaster you'll be fine on a plane.

Flying isn't scary, probability is on your side, everything in life has its risks. Rationalise your fears, overcome your demons, you're holding yourself back.

If you spoke to a GP about it and they would probably sling you out of the door with some anti-anxiety prescription to get you through the journey if you did fancy forcing yourself to try it.

Was once diverted via Cincinatti on a flight from Houston to London. Diversion was very last-minute and they stuck us on a tiny ~50-seater plane that was so small that the aisle went up one side, and each row had only two seats. The air steward sat on a fold-down seat facing the front row and had a little coffee machine to keep him company.
One of our party (extremely posh senior Fashion Editor at a famous magazine) couldn't get over how small the plane was, and kept asking how it could possibly fit us all on with luggage, fuel, food, etc. We managed to convince her that the luggage went in a special 'trailer plane' that was attached to a tow bar at the back of the aircraft... :LOL:

Neil":i2fx5582 said:
It never ceases to surprise me, just how much wings flex in flight.

This reminds me of my 1st ever flight. A couple of mates were trying to wind me up over it, I wasn't worried at all, they said I should take the window seat. Wasn't till we were rumbling down the runway and I showed one of them the wing tip bouncing up & down, that he started to get scared :LOL:

Back