replacement car question

legrandefromage":1xf8tzdf said:
Do an ebay completed items search on 'spares/ repair' and do a poll on what is the most common make/ model and go from there. :)

I can't see anything on ebay referring to completed auctions

Alison

Isaac_AG":3c0r8ve0 said:
legrandefromage":3c0r8ve0 said:
Do an ebay completed items search on 'spares/ repair' and do a poll on what is the most common make/ model and go from there. :)

I can't see anything on ebay referring to completed auctions

Alison

Got it but isn't that because Vauxhalls and fords are the most common cars on the road so they are going to show up as the most sold for spares or repairs?

Alison

Not really. French cars seem to be fearsomely unreliable. There's no hard and fast rules anymore. One make may be super reliable but expensive to fix. Our fiat has done some 65000 in 3 years and gone wrong only once. Yet fiat have a poor reputation. The internet is a great and terrible place for car buying as for every posituve you'll find a negative.

I am in the same position as you needing a car but am reluctant. The models I 'know' and love are getting on for 20 years old.

We bought our 8 year old crv with 125,000 on the clock. 2/3 years later its still going strong with no major issues. Bought from a dealer but a previous 1 owner car. Loads of main dealer history.

Would recommend a crv. Nice high position but not an overly large car. Space for kids or bikes and not extraordinary on fuel.

Nice cars but am hoping to get a 1.6 or a 1.8 we have a 2.0 Volvo and it's costing the earth

Alison

low mileage means lots of short runs....with a cold engine = lots of engine wear.
High mileage suggest motorway driving with warmed up engine...good.
Most engine wear occurs just after you start the engine!!!

Focus C-Max are good VFM and comfy for 5 up.

Vauxhall haven't made a good vehicle for many years, they're miles behind the competition and are only so prominent on the roads as they offer huge fleet discounts. Ie they all end up as peoples hated heavily discounted company cars and hire/courtesy vehicles. Very few ever serviced properly.

Back