Freewheel Maintenance

Thanks for that, i thought i had read that somewhere. I suspect that my tin of 3-in-1 is as old as the Rapide!!

Shaun, I could be wrong here, but I think your profit figures refer to mark-up.
If so the gross margin on your bike sales (on return) was about 13% after discount, your other goods 33.3% at retail price.
Apart from frames most of my purchases were 40% to 50% off the retail price for quantities or direct from manufacturer.
I lost count of the number of times I was offered discounts like 33% plus 10% which is 40% not 43%.
In those days we had purchase tax on complete bikes, but not on components.

Keith

You are correct :) The figures were mark-up and not profit.

I started working in 1974'ish at the age of 14 (tell that to the kids of today) and by that time VAT had taken over from Purchase tax if memory serves so there was no advantage in buying a bike in bits..

I think by that time the "luxury tax" had also gone. Taken over by the 3 day week and riding home at night on the bike with the street lights out as they had been switched off....as they had been in the house so lit by candles.

49 pence a week as a paper boy was dwarfed by what I could earn at the bike shop :)

Shaun

Get some bearings, (I have used simply bearings) and use Freewheel#1 to experiment on. If you can safely rebuild something that is tadgered, then you can tackle the other two.

Back