Will a 7 speeed fit to replace my 6?

sinclair

Dirt Disciple
Hi.
I'm running early 80's Super-Record hubs with a screw on 6 speed free wheel. Does anyone know if a 7 speed will fit straight on or are ther deeper?
Cheers.

Depends, some do - measure the gap between the 6th sprocket and the frame and see if there's room for one more

monty dog":kg4mzzke said:
Depends, some do - measure the gap between the 6th sprocket and the frame and see if there's room for one more
Hmmm. No chance, way too close. Thanks for that MD.

Hello - i was looking to do this also and what you need to do is remove the spacers from the non drive side of the axle and place them on the drive side which will move the hub over to the non drive side and create a space big enough for a 7 speed freewheel - then you need to have the rim centred again with the centre of the brake bridge.

Regards

Mark

I've a feeling a Suntour New Winner 7 speed will fir in the same space. My six speed version is the same width as the five speed Shimano it replaced.

it depends. If you currently have six speed with standard spacing (ie 5.5mm pitch & same individual cog spacing as 5 speed) then you can fit a compact 7 (same overall block width as std 6 with 5mm pitch between speockets). A Maillard/sachs compact 7 or suntour ultra 7 will fit. If you're already on a compact 6 (which is on your bike having replaced a standard 5 speed block) then you will have some work to do with a longer axle, more spacers, redishing the wheel and widening the dropouts.

Latest posts

Back