Wheel spacing

shinobi

Senior Retro Guru
Hi all

Started gathering bits together for my skip find 88 hardrock , I picked up a set of wheels from a forum member , specialized bx 23 rims on dx hubs , perfecti i thought , didnt occur to me the spacing might be wrong :roll:
The frame is roughly 130mm across the dropouts not 135mm like my orange .

So what do i need to do to use them ,if i can at all ? do i get the wheel re dished , change the axle or the hub ? Help !!

Cheers Paul

You could try using different nuts on the rear axle,to lose 2.5mm each side, or just whack the wheel in as is. There should be enough give in the stays...

suburbanreuben":3lwi9b2v said:
You could try using different nuts on the rear axle,to lose 2.5mm each side, or just whack the wheel in as is. There should be enough give in the stays...

I did kind of look at that but it seems to put the wheel off centre to the non drive side , not sure about the axle length either ? but thanks for the reply :)

I have an axle from a DX hub in front of me, it has a .09in spacer
washer each side. If you have to narrow things, removing those spacers will loose you
around 4.5mm, I can't see the other 1/2mm being much of an issue.

suburbanreuben":ivurccyo said:

Cannot see why either of those "solutions" (or indeed a combination of the two, depending on what spacers you can remove) should cause the wheel to be off-centre. But if it does, then surely only a slight re-dish will set it right?

Thanks for the replys :)
i think this hub has been apart before so will have to check it out , the bare axle is wider than the drop out so it it will need cutting down .

Cheers Paul

Just spread the stays. Just remember the below method for wheel removal:

file.php

legrandefromage":1be96pb9 said:
Just spread the stays. Just remember the below method for wheel removal:

file.php

I used that method for years with mixed results , i have since found a small lever which when released seems to make removel less harmfull to both wheel and toe .

its good to pass on these technical tips for future generations ;)

Back