7 to 9 speed?

oldave

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Sorry if this is in part slightly post-retro. Also, it's oft discussed but I seem to have got a bit lost in the details!

Just bought a '98/'99 RSP 250 (see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=243797), with which I am very happy - lovely frame. It rides very well as it is, but been down-spec'd - in particular from 27 to 21 speed. The shifters are nasty combo modern 3x7s - which have to GO. Now I don't mind 7 rear, but all my other wheels etc are 9 and I prefer interchangeabilty. I could just fit friction shifters, but I happen to have some index 9 speed to hand and a set of new red DX V levers, which would be good with the red decals!

I could junk the wheels, BUT the as new Mavic M231 rims seem to be worth keeping. The hubs are also nice nick polished DX - and thus (I assume?) do not take a 9 speed cassette.

Seems to me three options. Rebuild the rear on to a new 9 speed hub. Replace the DX freehub with a 9 speed (I THINK that this is possible - with a re-dish/re-space?). Remove one cog from a 9 speed cassette to fit on the existing freehub, setting stops accordingly and altering when I swop wheels. For the cassette chop I imagine easiest is to ditch the largest?

What have I missed? All comments (up to and including derision) gratefully received!

Myself, I'd just rebuild the rear wheel if you want true interchangeability between bikes.

Thanks for views!

Having checked the DX/M231 wheels and fitted some fatter tyres they look so nice that I'm going for 7 speed thumbies with the friction option (which I always prefer for front mech anyway).

Would a 10 speed cassette with one sprocket no fitted work. I am sure I have seen a write up on on Sheldon "the Good" Brown's site somewhere. Never tried it myself.

I think TEN speed would only complicate matters - at the least all the other 9 speeders would need new chains!

Back