Tell me about DeKerf

I will certainly try a few out for looks first, then try them out. No idea when ill find the time but hopefully not in the too distant future.

ishaw":3l7e13x4 said:
or I could go totally crazy and finally fit the lawwill leaders I have to something??

I first built mine up with IRD TL-5s. It was a bit over the top for an understated Canadian hardtail IMHO. I can see the Leaders having the same effect. Tried Bontragers. Looked good, but at 390 it was way too nervous at speed. Then 410 P2s. Finally settled on Mag 21s. I will probably colour match the legs this year.

suburbanreuben":1lt8cv2q said:
He did make the frames to fit the fork, as just about everyone did in 1994. It was "suspension corrected" for 63mm travel or 415mm rigid forks. 80mm won't faze it; it'l just be a little more stable at warp factor 5.
63mm xc forks didn't come in until 1996. In 1994, most builders designed for 40-50mm travel if they made their frames suspension-adjusted at all (and I don't believe that it's true that most did - more like a half I should have thought).

Anthony":2px4g9ul said:
suburbanreuben":2px4g9ul said:
He did make the frames to fit the fork, as just about everyone did in 1994. It was "suspension corrected" for 63mm travel or 415mm rigid forks. 80mm won't faze it; it'l just be a little more stable at warp factor 5.
63mm xc forks didn't come in until 1996. In 1994, most builders designed for 40-50mm travel if they made their frames suspension-adjusted at all (and I don't believe that it's true that most did - more like a half I should have thought).
YUp, but in those days suggested sag was 10%, if that.
The 415/63mm recommendation is from the horses mouth...

Good work on picking up a Dekerf. Any pics yet?

After aaages thinking about it, I've just sent my '99 Generation off to Dave Yates for a disc mount on the back, and a respray. Sent off some 425 Salsa Cromotos to be sprayed the same colour.

Setting it up singlespeed too, not sure whether to splash on a Philcentric or get a singleator and see how I get on.

Discs front and back mean I can share the wheels from the Dialled Prince Albert, and the open pros on the crosser. Looking forward to getting back on it!

In terms of travel, The Z2 Lights that were on when I bought it were 432mm, figured a bit less than that would replicate some sag, and give me some leeway for a 650B front should I feel like hitching a lift on the bandwagon.

can someone tell the story of the rear stays and him cutting the tubes too short and his gf liking it or something or is that nonsense?

actually scratch that, i feel silly but blame utahdog and me not reading to the bottom :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

utahdog2003":3499232p said:
Chris DeKerf cut the seatstays too short on the prototype, and had to bridge the gap with a horizontal tube. Somebody said, "hey, that looks cool"...probably a girl, and the rest is history...

...OK, that's pretty much all made up. :LOL:

Back