Is flying really scary?

legrandefromage":2o7n16a1 said:
Flying over the Alps on a clear day is also great.

most mountain ranges, rockies, urals, as well as the Siberian tundra, african savanah pretty impressive too but that was in a very small plane and little bit hairy, think the bush pilots programme on TV, glad we went before that was on.

edit - just did a quick count up and worked out flown in / out of 76 cities, towns, islands etc including 3 transfers that I can remember where I didn't get to leave the airport

I've only flown once, about 10 years ago. Take-off was a bit disconcerting due to the angle your line of sight suddenly takes on, but otherwise, no problem. Mostly clear views, a particular highight was passing over the part-built Olympic Village for the 2004 Games!

David

1 in 25,000,000 chance of dying in a plane crash.

Considerably less than cycling.

Take your pick.

N/B":2dkgfko7 said:
Airports, on the other hand, are almost as appalling as trains.

Airports - based on my limited experience of them, still not as bad as motorway service areas. Trains can be very good indeed, depends on the company operating them; I've hardly a bad word to say about Chiltern*, whereas CrossCountry are pretty dire.

David

*Some of the "new" Mainline stock, although based on 30-odd year old BR carriages, is brilliant. 1st Class ambience at Standard Class prices. :)

Russell":3mv8ebbf said:

Take your pick.

But my feeling is if your hit on a bike there is a fair chance of survival if your in a plane crash there is zero chance of survival, I'd take the bike any day, I've survived a side impact on a bike, battered and bruised but I walked away :D

Alison

Isaac_AG":23kvjil4 said:
But my feeling is if your hit on a bike there is a fair chance of survival if your in a plane crash there is zero chance of survival, I'd take the bike any day, I've survived a side impact on a bike, battered and bruised but I walked away :D

Alison

this is it in a nutshell, your feeling is very different to statistics, how many miles cycled, how many accidents, how many killed despite your experience, vs the same for flying

Isaac_AG":w9r4c6kv said:
Russell":w9r4c6kv said:

Take your pick.

Alison

Death is death... end of.

(per journeys taken) You're more likely to die on a bike, than on a plane.

Russell":ngfj3yx9 said:
Isaac_AG":ngfj3yx9 said:
Russell":ngfj3yx9 said:

Take your pick.

Alison

Death is death... end of.

(per journeys taken) You're more likely to die on a bike, than on a plane.

I am petrified of death, just too final for me :D I get scared being a passenger in a car these days.

Alison

I had a great fear of flying, so i booked a flight from uk to california...........it cured me ! only time i've ever been on a plane.......didn't know if i was gonna freak out, vomit, or what, but i ended up enjoying it, knowing i'd be riding up mt.Tam when i got there etc.......although you can sense people are more aware of their mortality when the plane hit air pockets etc..........it was great seeing ice burgs and the great lakes as we flew over them :D

I would not even go cross Chanel ferry either I am stuck on this island. My oldest son has been all over the place though.

Back