cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Another question you.

I have an integrated aheadset on my kinesis cross bike.

It keeps coming loose and if I tighten it too much, I can't steer.

The front of the bike feels weird, I can't let go of the bars .

Is it the aheadset? Wheel not centred properly?

Driving me nuts.

Headset , lower bearing is worn/seized.Could also be a mismatch or incorrect parts fitted ,there my guesses without seeing it .

Something might be upside down in there, but if its coming loose, a bit of fibre grip gel between the steerer and stem once its all snugged up might help.
Just swinging on the top cap bolt until you can't steer won't fix anything.

Oh, the stock kinesis headsets are rubbish. We've currently got 4 kinesis frames, two fitted with mudguards before they were ever ridden and two "race day only" cx bikes. None of the headsets lasted more than a handful of months before the bottom race seized. Even filling the cups with grease before hand doesn't work.

(and if you've over tightened it, you may have destroyed/brinnelled the bearings, will leave you with an indexed headset.)

Thanks for the advice.

Went to get a new headset, but would not fit in the frame.
Old one is a Cane Creek, with sealed bearing at the top and loose balls in a cage at the bottom. Trouble is that there is a part which is seized into the frame in the bottom cup.

On the social ride last night, on of the guys was saying he was having an issue with his Hewitt. If he tightened the headset up he got "notchy" steering, but if he loosened it off so it was smooth the fork actually moved in the headset.

After a bit of reading he found that the bearings were put in the wrong way round, easy enough to do as the instructions are vague and not very clear. One side has a 45degree angle on it and one side is straight. Flipping one of the bearing over (the top set) made it better, but he now needs to drop the forks out and do the bottom set.

cchris2lou":lfrnws9e said:
Thanks for the advice.

Went to get a new headset, but would not fit in the frame.
Old one is a Cane Creek, with sealed bearing at the top and loose balls in a cage at the bottom. Trouble is that there is a part which is seized into the frame in the bottom cup.
I think this is your problem, loose balls in a cage are probably an exploded cartridge bearing.... The wife's Cane Creek did the same (twice, on two bikes).
Don't think Cane Creek do a caged ball headset.

was a pain to get the cage out , a bit nervous about using a dremmel into a headtube . first ride this morning and it works a treat .
but snapped the chain !

Back