Is it me or is it his youth

Probably because he was 15 at the time he saw what you drinking 4 bottles (pints) of beer everynight was doing to your and his relationship and it will have emotional links, you know it as your thinking that is how he is looking at you. I would call that guilt for whatever reason.

Of course he's 20 now and living his life out, the emotional ties will be different.

..maybe he's drinking a lot because you did ? Thinking what the hell why not.

...me just thinking allowed, I'm know psycho' or doc' ..

theproudhighway":1kyoeirg said:
RobMac":1kyoeirg said:
RobMac":1kyoeirg said:
Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week, no more than three units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week.

'If' a bottle is worth approx 2 units then six bottles is nearly a weeks quota in one night, and four times the recommended daily number of units for a woman.

Im not picking on you Alison you know I love you to bits ;)

Im stating these fact out of concern and your amongst mates on here.

BTW I 'was' having a glass of wine when I made my first post on this thread (just the one) :)

I'm no Doctor, but I don't agree with the whole units quota. People react to substances very differently. I know some people, who if drank 6 bottles it would put them on their ass, others it would just relax them after a stressful day.

The recommended Quota is not about the ability not to get drunk and how you react to it or if you need to piss every pint.
It's about the amount the Liver can handle and the damage caused to it along with the chemical it then starts to create and the cancers, knackered liver etc this can cause. It's the stuff you cannot directly see.
Of course it is generalised for an average population.

theproudhighway":2vlmitp0 said:
I'm no Doctor, but I don't agree with the whole units quota. People react to substances very differently. I know some people, who if drank 6 bottles it would put them on their ass, others it would just relax them after a stressful day.

Your not a Doctor you say?
Would you care to share 'your' drinking habits with us?

RobMac":jxn5a1iv said:
theproudhighway":jxn5a1iv said:

Your not a Doctor you say?
Would you care to share 'your' drinking habits with us?

I'll happily share 'my' drinking habits with you. I drink around 3 times a week. Depends on the occasion. I'm drinking at the moment for instance. I'm 7 250cl bottles of 4% lager at the moment. In no way am I impaired, just relaxed. My drinking doesn't have an impact on family life and I'm quite happy, thank you.

In the past I used to drink quite a lot. I had a talk with a family friend once who was a recovering alcoholic. He drank a bottle of vodka before he went to work, and further bottles throughout the day to stave off the DT's. He considered my drinking as that of a full blown alcoholic, to be honest, I beg to differ. Although it did shake me up a little. So I went to the doctors and had a liver function test - it came back clear, and I was drinking much more back in the day. I'm perfectly healthy.

Stress is just as likely to impact your physical and mental health as imbibing in a few drinks, even everyday.

May I ask 'your' alcohol intake? :D

theproudhighway":28aeuirl said:
May I ask 'your' alcohol intake? :D

Of course its only fair, I 'may' have a bottle of beer or a glass of wine a week sometimes nothing for a few weeks. And I really do mean just the one.

I appreciate your honest reply BTW :)

Cheers ................ sorry thanks ;)

My son is 25 and my daughter is 29, neither of them drink alcohol.

My son figured out in his first year at uni that drink was expensive and the effects were not worth the cost, he is now Straight Edge and has a tattoo to that effect right across the top of his chest, from collarbone to collarbone.

My daughter has never drunk, and is now both vegan (Vogon) and Straight Edge.

My wife has never really drunk, and I haven't drunk alcohol since 1987, by choice.

Are children in their 20's judgemental of their parents? You bet your a$$ :roll:

6 bottles would put me on my arse, i very really drink. if im at home id probley fall asleep after the 2nd bottle, though if im on a night out 6-8 im guessing, i bought a case of bulmers for christmass and still have 4 bottles left, though ive got through half a bottle of honey jd and finnished of last christmass bottle of laphroaig. i used to drink more in my 20s but find i dont enjoy it like i used to.
your probely confusing disgust with concern

WOW!! I was expecting to be honest everyone to think my son unreasonable and me the good dood for giving up the alcohol :shock:

RobMac":2h4apak0 said:
RobMac":2h4apak0 said:
Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week, no more than three units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week.

Im not picking on you Alison you know I love you to bits ;)

Thanks I am genuinely touched :D

LikeClockwork":2h4apak0 said:
This is a tricky one. You asked for our opinion on your son's attitude, but I would be more worried about your attitude to alcohol. For the simple reason I was border-line alcoholic a few years ago, and it ruined at least one relationship (with my husband at the time) and made several others, with family and friends, very difficult.

I'm not being pious, but sometimes it pays to ask yourself why you need the drink, just be sure you're not using it as a crutch, or a way of avoiding having to face other things in your life, which I am SURE you are not, but I know I was and it makes me nervous for others...

For what it's worth, a friend's ultimatum saved me, it took a while, but it's lovely to be the real me now and not constantly running away or masking stuff with alcohol...

My psychiatrist and doctor both said I was not dependant on alcohol but was drinking way in excess of ordinary levels but my son considered me an alcoholic. I did nearly ruin my family but my husband stuck with me through thick and thin. I love him so much more for that.

N/B":2h4apak0 said:
I doubt that anybody's outlook on alcohol consumption can be typified by their age. It's more likely to be influenced by friends and family imo.

Personally (aged 36), I think a beer or glass of wine every night with dinner is normal. Wife and I might have a second drink if we watch a film. I probably haven't 'got drunk' since my wedding day, just over a year ago.
My parents treat alcohol similarly, they also drink nightly and are both really healthy for their ages.
My wife's parents on the other hand, poke fun at my love of beer by sending me 'beer-monster'-type birthday and Christmas cards. They barely ever drink, mostly because they're not healthy enough to take it.

Beer (proper, handmade stuff) goes with good bicycles like hand in glove, imo. The renaissance of both appears to be somewhat in-sync.

There's no ideal solution for everyone, nor should anybody expect there to be. As the manufacturers say, 'Please drink responsibly'.

y son I bolive drank that much as as a recent qualifier to the Royal Marines he was expected to pay for the alcohol in his first week so he sapent £100 a day for 7 days. he says he stays sober for the month now and binges once a month.

I don't think his alcohol is due to me but what he suffered will have left it's mark I spent 4.5 months in hospital and he did have to be a man of the house with his dad for that time when he should have been 15.

But in the end I think from so much each week to be down to 6 bottles is an achievement. Maybe I should be a bit more understanding but should I not be commended for getting to a place where 6 beers a week is the max I have.

Just shows I have a long way to go

Thanks for the comments and honesty I have really taken it on board

Alison

I must admit I do like to feel the alcohol going through my veins at the end of the week hence the 6 bottles on a Friday and before I stopped the every day drinking I had got fat and lazy I stop think that after a week of being a housewife for seven days I can have a few beers.

Sounds as if you know what you're doing, I'll stop worrying now :LOL:

You've made big changes, that's the main thing, and at the end of the day we all drink for different reasons. End of a week relaxation is completely different to living in an alcoholic haze like I did all week. I can drink occasionally and in moderation, as I love the taste of a decent real ale from a local brewery. I have to face, most people just drink as they actually do like it, not to run away from something like I was doing....

Life is all about balance, and everyone's point of balance is different!

Back