Is it me or is it his youth

Alison

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
About a year ago I used to drink four bottles of beer every weeknight and 6 bottles at the weekend, I did go a bit mental a few years ago. Now I have 6 bottles on a Friday night.

My 20 year old as a fifteen year old had to put up with a lot but treats me like an old alcoholic, something that I've never been, and looks on with disgust at the smallest amount of alcohol.

I have never spent £700 in a month on alcohol as he did in January or been that drunk since i was 20 and never been judgemental as he is.

Is it just that to the youth of today oldies are not allowed to drink?

What do you think?

Isaac_AG":1mh4pzue said:
About a year ago I used to drink four bottles of beer every weeknight and 6 bottles at the weekend, I did go a bit mental a few years ago. Now I have 6 bottles on a Friday night.

My 20 year old as a fifteen year old had to put up with a lot but treats me like an old alcoholic, something that I've never been, and looks on with disgust at the smallest amount of alcohol.

I have never spent £700 in a month on alcohol as he did in January or been that drunk since i was 20 and never been judgemental as he is.

Is it just that to the youth of today oldies are not allowed to drink?

What do you think?

First of all Alison ( treats me like an old alcoholic, something that I've never been, )
Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week, no more than three units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week.

Secondly your 20 year old son is pretty lucky being able to afford to spend £700 in alcohol in a month.

BTW Ive been involved in drugs & alcohol education at one stage.

You asked what I think, so... I do think 6 bottles of beer in one evening is excessive. Probably it's not much compared to what many people in this country are drinking, but I personally think it's still excessive.

Aside from everything else, isn't it uncomfortable drinking that much liquid in one go if you're not actively sweating it out with exercise?

I see alcohol as any other drug. I have seen 2 relationships one involving 5 kids and another involving over30 yearsof marriage go down the toilet as a direct result of drinking. Its not ok. britian seems obsessed with alcohol and there is no reason I can see or any reality at all where someone would need to drink 6 bottles in 1 night. It causes more problems, solves no problems and destroys people. It makes people fat and lazy and costs the earth.
This is my opinion, its not up for debate and I wont be called out on my judgemental and over zezlous attitude towards it. The op asked, I answered.
Alison I mean no offence to you nor is it directed in ANY way at you, im just airing my opinion as you asked.

No Alison seems reasonable to me once a week having that I can see a problem. People can spout on about units this and that yeah fine but they are guidelines. Not as if your getting smashed off your tit's then sleeping around.

Nothing wrong with drinking 6 bottles once a week in my opinion. Providing it's not getting in the way of family or other responsibilities.

With the cost of booze these days I can imagine £700 being easily done. Back in the 90's I'd spend around £80 a night on drink and other treats.

Coffee and alcohol lubricate our great Nation. One to keep us working the other to let us forget about working shitty jobs.

This is a tricky one. You asked for our opinion on your son's attitude, but I would be more worried about your attitude to alcohol. For the simple reason I was border-line alcoholic a few years ago, and it ruined at least one relationship (with my husband at the time) and made several others, with family and friends, very difficult.

I'm not being pious, but sometimes it pays to ask yourself why you need the drink, just be sure you're not using it as a crutch, or a way of avoiding having to face other things in your life, which I am SURE you are not, but I know I was and it makes me nervous for others...

For what it's worth, a friend's ultimatum saved me, it took a while, but it's lovely to be the real me now and not constantly running away or masking stuff with alcohol...

RobMac":30u8aoms said:
Women should drink no more than 14 units of alcohol per week, no more than three units in any one day, and have at least two alcohol-free days a week.

'If' a bottle is worth approx 2 units then six bottles is nearly a weeks quota in one night, and four times the recommended daily number of units for a woman.

Im not picking on you Alison you know I love you to bits ;)

Im stating these fact out of concern and your amongst mates on here.

BTW I 'was' having a glass of wine when I made my first post on this thread (just the one) :)

RobMac":3oap31lt said:
RobMac":3oap31lt said:

'If' a bottle is worth approx 2 units then six bottles is nearly a weeks quota in one night, and four times the recommended daily number of units for a woman.

Im not picking on you Alison you know I love you to bits ;)

Im stating these fact out of concern and your amongst mates on here.

BTW I 'was' having a glass of wine when I made my first post on this thread (just the one) :)

I'm no Doctor, but I don't agree with the whole units quota. People react to substances very differently. I know some people, who if drank 6 bottles it would put them on their ass, others it would just relax them after a stressful day.

I doubt that anybody's outlook on alcohol consumption can be typified by their age. It's more likely to be influenced by friends and family imo.

Personally (aged 36), I think a beer or glass of wine every night with dinner is normal. Wife and I might have a second drink if we watch a film. I probably haven't 'got drunk' since my wedding day, just over a year ago.
My parents treat alcohol similarly, they also drink nightly and are both really healthy for their ages.
My wife's parents on the other hand, poke fun at my love of beer by sending me 'beer-monster'-type birthday and Christmas cards. They barely ever drink, mostly because they're not healthy enough to take it.

Beer (proper, handmade stuff) goes with good bicycles like hand in glove, imo. The renaissance of both appears to be somewhat in-sync.

There's no ideal solution for everyone, nor should anybody expect there to be. As the manufacturers say, 'Please drink responsibly'.

Back