cchris2lou

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Got a puncture today on my front tyre .

it is only a cheap Vittoria Rally , so not worth me sending it to someone for a proper repair .

is there any other way to repair the puncture ? I was thinking putting some latex sealant in the tube ?

When it happens to me I will give the Vittoria Pit Stop a go. It adds a lot less weight than the usual sealant. This time of year sucks a$$ for punctures what with all the hedge cutting going on.

I've used stans in my cross tubs the past couple of seasons when I've punctured and its worked a treat.
Take the valve core out and put a couple of syringes worth in, put some pressure in and rotate it a bit to spread it round and bob's your uncle!

Actually you can repair them yourself, its not that hard, all you need to do is find the hole, lift the base tape carefully and use an unpicker or stanley blade to cleanly cut the thread for about 2 inches. repair the tube and sew up using good strong thread , and replace the base tape with white pva glue or copydex. I know it sounds daunting but its actually very easy, I used to do them all the time in the 80's. Only 2 bits of advice if you do it. 1. Dont over tighten the thread or the tub will snake, look at the tension and spacing on the existing threading and copy that. and.....2. DONT put it back on a front wheel! thats just me, I wouldnt want a front wheel blow out if the worst happened, not that it ever has! Hope you give it a go :D

As a callow youth I once repaired a tub with ordinary cotton thread. A week or two later I was at a crit and it blew up just as I was about to get to the starting line. Another 5 minutes and... :shock:

Lesson learned.

I've repaired many tubs! As DD says ''its not that hard''

I remember years ago someone puncturing a Clement tub and he threw the old tub into a tree
saying i'm not mending that! After the clubrun had finished I went back some 30 miles to
retrieve this tub out of the tree, quite funny to be climbing a tree in cycling shoes..lol

Took the tyre home and mended it, I then told my mate who threw the tyre away that
I had gone back and mended it, he then demanded it back. Told him to get ferked !!!

Think I used evo-stick to glue the rim tape to the tub'

You can still buy tub' repair kits.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TUBULAR-BIKET ... 2a291c00db

Curved needle is best.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've still got the tins and contents of the Dunlop tub repair kits. Needle, curved 'guard' to help prevent stabbing the tube when resewing, heavy duty thread. Well used in the past and, if necessary, will be used again in the future. My tips are -

1 - Use the tip of a warmed old table knife to 'melt' the adhesive gluing the base tape for a short length on one side in order to be able to get hold of the tape to pull it away.
2 - Mark with biro etc, some lines across the existing stitching before cutting (a sharp craft knife etc.) to help lining up when restitching. Completely remove the bits of old thread
3 - Don't make the 'access' hole to long, the shorter the better, just enough to get the tube out. It won't matter if you 'pull' it a bit.
4 - Try not to cut the fabric of the tyre carcase when cutting the stitching.
5 - Use the existing stitch holes in the carcase when restitching (with heavy duty waxed thread used double) - and don't pull to tight, just enough to bring the edges together securely.
6 - Extend the new restitching slightly over the 'ends' of the gap made in the carcase by at least one stitch.
7 - Use the old stitch holes for the new stitches, don't try to make new ones. Use the previously 'biroed' lines as a guide to getting everything back 'square'.
8 - If there is a 'chafing tape' over the stitching inside the tubular (almost always on light tyres) then try to get it to go back in position when restitching.
9 - Try VERY hard NOT to stick the needle through the tube! Sort of defeats the object of the exercise if you do.

All this was second nature to us lads in the 60's and 70's when tubs were in everyday use for training, racing and going to school/work.

In the end, despite following all the above, if may well be that the tyre won't run dead straight on the rim when refitted. However, it will still perform perfectly well as a spare at worst.

Attachments

• DunlopTubularRepairOutfit.A.jpg
    DunlopTubularRepairOutfit.A.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 256
Like it Ian! Mate of mine threw one in a tree near Chelford in Cheshire, Marple Wheelers rider if I remember. It stayed up there for about 5 years, no chance of climbing to get that one. Also had a mate blow a Lion GT 30( remember those , crap and cheap!) up when I was on his wheel, problem was it contained that sealant glue stuff, went all over my wool jersey and immediately set! Happy days :))

Old Ned":1dl56jis said:
In the end, despite following all the above, if may well be that the tyre won't run dead straight on the rim when refitted. However, it will still perform perfectly well as a spare at worst.
Thats all down to how neat and equal you stitch the tyre up isn't it Ned?

Another tip is to use wooden cloth's pegs to clamp on the tube you have just pulled out the tub', aid's in holding the tube whilst putting the patch on.

When I used to push the innertube back inside the tub I would always stretch & roll the tub about to get the inner-tube to lay flat/even.

Doubledee":1dl56jis said:
Like it Ian! Mate of mine threw one in a tree near Chelford in Cheshire, Marple Wheelers rider if I remember. It stayed up there for about 5 years, no chance of climbing to get that one. Also had a mate blow a Lion GT 30( remember those , crap and cheap!) up when I was on his wheel, problem was it contained that sealant glue stuff, went all over my wool jersey and immediately set! Happy days :))
Its not that long since I saw a tub on the roadside and was repairable and gave it to a friend and he
got me a bacon cob from the cafe stop, never understand why some riders feel the need to throw
them away! If they explode? Yes no doubt the tube will be knackered but hey don't let that stop you
I once un-stitched an entire tub to replace a tube, took ages to do though...lol

I've had cheapo tubs were the friggin black rubber tread has actually come off the tub :facepalm:

Back