Action-Tec

kingroon

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Way back, I had a copy of MBA with an Action-Tec test in it, and one photo in the test remained on my bedroom wall as a poster for ages.. The dude was pulling a wheelie or something, and the bike just looked awesome.. It was red, with pretty stock parts, but the frame I think was a steel unit?

They make a similar frame in Scandium or 7005 now, and it's not a bad price [US$900].. Anyone seen any of these about?

Does anyone have the MBA I'm jabbering about and could scan in the test? :)

I should have perhaps prefaced this post with a notice that I was very very bored at work and drifted off into a RetroBike Reminisce.. :shock:

I've got an MBA mag with an action tec feature. uses the inside headtube fork that was later ripped off (badly!) by c'dale. grafton mag lite cantis, e-cranks. xt parts. titec carbon post, ti bar, action tec ti stem. umma gumma tyres set @ silly low pressures. was russ robinsons very own bike.
that the article? (frame in this feature is alu, not steel)

That's the one scant! Any chance of a scan of the large colour photo? :D

m1kesmith":31eoous0 said:
how old are those actiontec frames??? they have canti cablestops and no disk mounts!!

...& the internal suspension fork is still smoother than a brand new c'dale ;)

scant, that build you described in the test sounds awesome.. I reckon that might be my next project.. A Russ Robinson Replica..

Ebay here I come.. [and i just finished paying off the Visa too :cry: ]

Boulder Bikea and Action Tec

Years ago I had a brochure from Boulder Bikes (from around '92), they made what was know as the 'Foreman Camera Bike'. It used an Action Tec head-tube shock as well as telescopic forks (forget which ones). It had a really long top tube with a mount for a Steady Cam for filming.
Naturally I threw the brochure out years ago one on of my many moves :cry:

Around that time you could get Action Tec shocks as an aftermarket shock, but you needed a 1.25" headtube. I was thinking of getting one when I ordered my Intrepid (got a Marzocchi XC 400 instead).

Back