Retro prices

On craigslist over here 20-year-old road bike prices are down a bit from 5 years ago whereas 20-year-old MTBs are up a bit from 5 years ago.

I agree with others complete bikes and frames are being advertised for silly money (if some mug pays that is another thing)

Quality sells. Rare with a historry sells. The rest is just backgroubnd noise. A brand new reasonable bike of any type is quite a chunk of the average wage so good second hand will always be sought after. Spring always bumps up prices and also releases some good garage finds.

I think the uncertainty in MTB prices is due a lot to the fact that the retro MTB market is still relatively young and small.

Is it the 97 cutoff point? Have the people that wanted their childhood dream bikes all attained them now?

All sorts of factors determine prices but ultimately it comes down to supply and demand.Bikes which were made in large quantities by bigger manufacturers are still plentiful but there will always be a smaller supply of bikes made by niche or top end manufacturers,hence the prices paid for early Kleins.I get the impression that more people are getting interested in simple retro bikes,perhaps in reaction to the complexity and cost of maintaining full suspension bikes,and this will inevitably result in higher prices for desirable models.

Other factors can also up prices.My first Ebay purchase was a Specialized Enduro 2004 and the round trip to Manchester was over 500 miles and cost £80 in fuel alone to collect.When I bought my Clockwork recently I paid over the odds to acquire a local bike,10 minutes away,rather than pay less and endure another day on the motorway.

The bikes we like will never be made again and the inevitable attrition over the years will further reduce supply and increase prices,so grab it while you can.

Orange Clockwork 1991
Proflex 855
Specialized Enduro 2004

In the attic: 3.0 series Cannondale F/F 1990 waiting for time and money

That lot just about covers my interests!

Locality is a good point.
ebay sellers are strangely averse to couriers. I saw a mint Alpinestars cromega with full DX sell on ebay for the minimum asking price of UK£100, as opposed to the £300 I offered, due to the owners unwillingness/lack-of-knowledge to courier the bike.
The upside is that it can sometimes work to your advantage but can seriously skew prices.

Back