Slow burning JUCHEM build

Re: Seeking some german bike advise of the JUCHEM type

Elev12k":3hfo1orm said:

I've tried but no answer :( I should imagine that when you have a heap of frames to make on a deadline, emails in the wrong language about something that you made 25 years ago that are not going to bring in more work probably end up at the bottom of the to do list! I will give them a few more days then will go and get a german dictionary and try and compose a more meaningful message in their mother tongue.
Theres some nice kit on their website which im sure would appeal to a lot of folk here.

Maybe ask a German member for translation or asking them the Q.

As far as I know, Juchem used to be a very respected brand of handcrafted bikes, which slipped into oblivion with more and more branded far east bikes becoming the norm. I haven't heard of them since a while now and, frankly, I am pretty surprised that they still exist. I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a one mar operation lead by Mr. Werner Juchem himself. At least that's the name I remember. I can't help with info on the headset, but if you want to, I can write an e-mail in German for you or give them a phonecall on Monday. PM me with what you want to translate.

Cheers,
Mx

That 5mm thick powder coat is nearly gone now and a rather handsome old thing is starting to emerge. Since I stripped the inside of the headtube it has become even bigger.....I bought an ancient/tiny lathe a while ago and am scratching away at a lump of aluminium to create a set of 1" reducer cups. It should build up into a fine machine when it is all buffed up.
Having picked this up and started snooping eastwards I have discovered some real quality German gems which were total unknown to me previously. There is some really nice stuff over there if you dig deep.

Attachments

• J1.jpg
    J1.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 947
  • J2.jpg
    J2.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 947

That's a thing of beauty indeed. And yes, there are some beautiful frames out there, and the engineering and geometry usually is top notch. There will always be at least one German bike in my stable.

I'm curious about the bit that sticks out at the back of the seat tube though. Is that the end of the split or is it a mounting hole for something?

The little tab is a complete mystery to me. It has a thread inside it so could take a light bracket perhaps. I initially thought it was for a hite rite but it is in the wrong direction. As the seat tube extension is so large it could be there to strengthen the area perhaps, the slot ends a cm or so further up.

Re:

Never one to hurry I finally started to pop this old girl together today. Not a glamour shot I know but you can see a little gem starting to emerge. When I can find a moment to get the last of the powder coat off and buff it up a little it is going to look great.
Theres a few nice hidden touches in there that make it stand out. Theres a Kleinesque sealed bb shell with no breath holes, bb's should last forever in there. The seat tube is made in a similar way to colombus slx with spirally cut internal butting, not something i've seen before on an aluminium tube set. The 130mm back end is set up to run a dishless wheel so it should be a tough old girl.

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 608

Maxipedia":2wlfydcp said:
As far as I know, Juchem used to be a very respected brand of handcrafted bikes, which slipped into oblivion with more and more branded far east bikes becoming the norm. I haven't heard of them since a while now and, frankly, I am pretty surprised that they still exist. I also wouldn't be surprised if it's a one mar operation lead by Mr. Werner Juchem himself.

Seems to be exactly what happened to most, one-off hand-made frame builders over the years (Dekerf and Brodie included)

Latest posts

Back