'87 Cannondale SM600- finished

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Its back on the fleet after just a month or so away. And for its 21st anniversary its getting another makeover. I'm putting it back to as near as standard factory spec without going too mad (some things are proving tricky to locate- and it has to be rideable)

this is how it looked when i bought it off the 'bay last year

cannondale.jpg

before finding this site and shamefully covered in modern tat and working for a living as my work hack
Picture039.jpg

..........and a few months later with a coat of yellow paint and a smattering of Blue ano parts.

1111111.jpg

I then broke up the bike to fund the FUNK build, selling off the blue bling whilst the frame went to Sithlord for a singlespeed project.
last week i bought it back and started to restore it to its 1987 Factory spec. Its been powdercoated and has got a Tange fork until I can locate the correct unicrown jobbie. I have located most of the original spec parts on eBay and await the postmans knock. i will post more pics and a full spec as the week unfolds. watch this space..........

00a00a.jpg

By the way, does anyone have a chrome Shimano or Suntour seat binder QR to donate??

stew-b":1584c8bn said:
:) saddles abit modern aint it??

Its actually older than the bike- its a 1986 Selle Super Turbo, had it ages and super comfy ;)

Got a few more parts for the puzzle today including a pair of original cerise pink foam grips! Just need that bloody seat binder :roll:

S

A little leap forward this weekend. Shimano M700 deerhead front and rear mechs arrived on saturday from the states. Both pretty perfect, front still has the little 'For Alpine Gearing' sticker on the outer cage! The Sakae SR MTS stem arrived too as did the naff foam grips.

00a00aa.jpg

The Suntour XC shifter/levers combos are now fitted (1986 remember and indexed- eat yer heart out Shimano!!) but need to come apart for repainting. I changed the plastic lever blades for Dia compe 282 alloy 4 finger blades- a more or less straight swap with a little filing and milling out. They look much nicer than the plastic levers so worth the effort.

00a00aaa.jpg

So its just pedals (sorted with correct MKS Graffight platforms), a seatpost QR and decals (Gil_M) to go and that'll be another done!

You can have white decals there, with the station in front badge… ;)
I love it ! :cool:

It seems…
main1phpcq6.jpg

legrandefromage":1pb8kp8u said:
no smug points for guessing the car? :cry:

Fraid not matey- its not an Elan, this thing would give an Elan a good slapping and shag its wife!! Tis a beast of a thing.
No, my Elan is Burgundy and now sold sadly. Go on have another go dude. Pics of it have been posted on here somewhere ;)

Looking forward to getting the C'dale finished next week. I managed to get a seat binder QR today. Just waiting for postie then its off for a gentle pootle around the park :cool: Hopefully Gil will sort the decals before his sabatical- he works too hard!

S

Back