Raleigh M-Trax 2000 Ti 1994

oliverracing

Old School Hero
Ok so I bought a Raleigh M-Trax 2000 Ti a couple of weeks back off eBay. It was nearly complete and near original but was missing fork and a few key bits, it was only about a mile down the road from where I live so I put a Bid in for £50 on the off chance nobody wanted it - and I won it for £42.80!!!

So... got It home and the original Idea of using it as a commuter bike went out the window, as it was in better nick that my Scott Sumit! So after abotu 2 minutes deliberation I decided to build it up with the 2006 XT parts off my old Scott.

I know most people will cringe at me taking a perfectly serviceable and semi original bike, and butchering it with modern components and discs, but to be honest I dont care - it rides like a dream - and can keep up the rest of my club (loughborough University) with people on full carbon XC bikes (or would if the engine on my bike was a little better :LOL: )

Before Shot
4h41dv.jpg

Now
3166cuo.jpg

As the observant may see, I am in the process or either removing/repainting the gunmetal paint on the Titanium Tubes, as there are huge sections of paint missing altogether on the down tube - this is a work in progress, and I may end up leaving the Ti Bare, and clear-coating the Steel seat-tube to match it. I will then obtain the correct decals through Gil-m for a little bit of originality :D

Also would anyone happen to have the colour codes for the Blue/metallic and the Gunmetal grey they used, or one that is a close enough match for them?

specs
Frame: Raleigh M-Trax 2000 Ti

Fork: Rockshox Reba 2006

Headset: Ritchey ... ?
Stem: Original to match blue on frame
Handlebar: Easton Monkey Bar Low rise XC
Grips: Ebay Specials :D
Barends: None at the moment - but have the original Titec ones that may get put on...

Brakes: XT M765 Discs
Brake Pads: Organic at the moment :?
Brake Cables: Goodridge Hoses
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: XT M765 Integrated with shifters

Shifters: XT M765
Front Derailleur: XT
Rear Derailleur: XT Rapid Rise
Derailleur Cables: ?
Cassette: HG50 11-34
Chain: shimano...
Cranks: Deore M590 - were black + tatty, now been brushed to match XT
Crank Bolts: ?
Chainrings: XT
Chainring bolts: ?
Bottom Bracket: Deore Hollowtech
Pedals: Decathlon single sided SPD, flat on other side

Hub Skewers:XT
Rims: Mavic X517 front and XM317 rear
Hubs: Deore and XT
Nipples: Silver :)
Spokes: Silver :)
Tyres:On one smorgasbord / chunky monkey combo
Tubes: specialized

Saddle: Charge spoon
Seatpost: Original Raleigh one
Seatpost Binder: ?

Weight: to be weighed soon...

Hope you like, and can forgive me for my er... modernisation :oops:

Looking good!..Lovely frame hiding in there amongst all that modern tat ;) :D

Seriously, that does look mint..There's alot to be said for plush susp forks and disc brakes on older frames -Best of worlds,some say.

Go for the original decals!!..Keep it's ID strong.
I realise you are stripping/clear coating due to frame damage but IMO a different seatpost design/darker colour would look better -that's just me though.

Keep updating us as you tweak. Thanks for sharing

saulus":2z1ol4py said:
Looking good!..Lovely frame hiding in there amongst all that modern tat ;) :D

Seriously, that does look mint..There's alot to be said for plush susp forks and disc brakes on older frames -Best of worlds,some say.

Go for the original decals!!..Keep it's ID strong.
I realise you are stripping/clear coating due to frame damage but IMO a different seatpost design/darker colour would look better -that's just me though.

Keep updating us as you tweak. Thanks for sharing

I will definitely be going for the original decals - but I don't see any point sticking them onto paint that may be coming off of a few weeks... If the paint was in better nick I would be keeping that original, but it seems to have been lent against a wall all its redundant life (It was used as a winter commuter for the last 12 years :cry: ), as there are 4-5 large sections where it has gone clean down to the titanium - but not scratched/marked it at all :D The Blue is in great condition except for 3 small patches - if only I could get the matching colour to repair it!

I have tried a different seat posts (black and polished silver - the one in it currently is brushed), but with all the silver XT parts, a black seat post just looked silly, It's not actualy that bright silver, it just happens the light is reflecting more off of the post than anything else.(as some better photos should show...)

Will attempt to get some better photos this weekend - and when it's finished too.

Ok - quick update (sadly no new photos...) so did my first full on ride yesterday, took it to Cannock chase with my Uni club, did both the "monkey trail" and "follow the dog" trails (red + and the odd bit of black added in), I really enjoyed it and felt that I was faster on this than on my old 2009 rockhopper! On the downside I had at least 5 comments along the lines of, "how are you managing on that old thing" and "are you not scared it will break" :cry: , but I will say the these were mostly from people on either full carbon, full sussers, or both!(who I somehow seemed to get caught behind on a regular occurrence - now how does that happen? :LOL: )
But two things happened that made my day, the first was reaching the top of a hill this guy (mid 40s) walked over (got off his full sus Stumpjumper!) and asked if it was an M-trax (no decals on it at the moment), as he had one from new, loved the way it rode and wondered where he would be able to get hold of one! (I directed him here if that's ok? :) )
The second was one of my club congratulated me on being faster than him :D , especially on such an old bike :facepalm:

HI What a Great Looking M-trax, I Just picked up my M-trax ( ebay Purchase) on Friday night, and have not stopped Popping out to the Bike cave and Having a Look and Loving it, Got to get started on Cleaning it all up and Servicing, then will see from there, But if it turns out half as good as yours I will be chuffed.
Really like too see the Modern Mix with Retro Quality Frame work.

proof that you dont have to have the most up to date, modern bike to be up there with the rest. And I'd have that M trax over a modern full susser any day ;)

seriously though, very nice bike. the modern parts look so good on it in my opinion

Latest posts

Back