Mercian Strada Speciale Singlespeed Project

Psyclist

Dirt Disciple
UPDATE: It's a Mercian Strada Speciale, not an Aende.

Got an Aende from a friend online which will be in my possession over the next week.

No idea of the model, but my friend says it has Columbus tubing. So if anybody can identify what model it is and tubing, I'd appreciate it.

Getting my brother (qualified painter) to spray it metallic red with cream brown lugs, for a pack of beers.

It'll be a single speed conversion. I'm getting it as a frame with headset, so will be scouting for parts on here.

I'll be needing:

-Stem

-42cm C-C bars silver

-27.2mm silver seatpost.

-Seatclamp (my friend says it needs one but no idea what sort)

-Brake levers with brown hoods (possibly Weinmann?)

-Single crankset (not Campag or Shimano D.A though, something budget wise, and half decent)

Everything else I will buy new, i.e Selle Turbo seat and brown bartape, wheels, etc.

Before
p4pb9204497.jpg

After (sort of how it will look like)
p4pb9216404.jpg

Re: Aende (??unknown model??) Singlespeed Project

Aende (Pongo Braithwaite) didn't have a "model range" as all the frames he made were bespoke, usually involving lots of drilling and chopping and leaving bits off LOL........looks a bit relaxed to be an Aende.

Might look better all red?

Shaun

looks a bit relaxed
LOL...you '70s time-triallers are from another planet.. :)

I agree about colours (I think!) I've never seen a frame with lugs painted a contrasting colour that IMO wouldn't have looked better without. More than anything, screaming out for a worthy chainset, OK not Campag, but something from that time along the same lines...a 144bcd spider with five slim arms?

Can just see three holes drilled into the lugs.....I guess the chainstay bridge is missing too.

Gippiemme, Ofmega, Sakae Royal, Ommas etc chainset would look nice and not break the bank :D

Shaun

Poor AENDE :? This is not what Pongo intended the bike to be as it now, get some gears on it :LOL:

I heard of Pongo after some reading up. He sounds like a legend for the stuff he did.

When I get the bike, if I take photos, will anybody be able to conform the frame make for me?

I might have it all red, but not sure at the moment, as I recently bought the cream brown paint for the lugs.

And lol Ian. Yes, I guess it should be restored to a road bike, but I'm temporarily going to use it as a conversion for now. I have another bike I'm building which will have gears :)

Psyclist":2d57ieer said:
I heard of Pongo after some reading up. He sounds like a legend for the stuff he did.
When I get the bike, if I take photos, will anybody be able to conform the frame make for me?
I might have it all red, but not sure at the moment, as I recently bought the cream brown paint for the lugs.
Pongo wasn't the perfect builder but he was one of the best in Nottinghamshire.

Regarding if you want to find out if actually is an AENDE you need to look at the lugs
Pongo was notorious for drilling holes in the lugs to shave weight off the completed frame,
also there should be no markings/stamps/numbers under the bottom bracket! he didn't stamp
anything on his frames with could identify him as the builder, he did this for tax evasion...lol

Also he built many frames without the rear chain-stay brace near the bottom bracket.

The shot in seat stays looks like his work by the way.

Ian Raleigh":2wvucm8i said:
Psyclist":2wvucm8i said:
Pongo wasn't the perfect builder but he was one of the best in Nottinghamshire.

Regarding if you want to find out if actually is an AENDE you need to look at the lugs
Pongo was notorious for drilling holes in the lugs to shave weight off the completed frame,
also there should be no markings/stamps/numbers under the bottom bracket! he didn't stamp
anything on his frames with could identify him as the builder, he did this for tax evasion...lol

Also he built many frames without the rear chain-stay brace near the bottom bracket.

The shot in seat stays looks like his work by the way.

Thank you for the info. I'll check it out once it's in my hands. The guy who is selling me it says that it's definitely an Aende as it was sold to him as one. But I will double check.

Got updated pics. It's at my brothers at the moment ready to be painted.

BB area
p4pb9260327.jpg

Dropout
p4pb9260323.jpg

Lugwork
p4pb9260322.jpg

p4pb9260319.jpg

p4pb9260317.jpg

p4pb9260316.jpg

p4pb9260314.jpg

p4pb9260312.jpg

p4pb9260311.jpg

p4pb9260309.jpg

p4pb9260305.jpg

Got the headset cleaned, and some parts for the bike too.

p4pb9278062.jpg

p4pb9280955.jpg

p4pb9280956.jpg

p4pb9281066.jpg

p4pb9281143.jpg

p4pb9281144.jpg

I get the bike back from it's respray on the weekend hopefully.

Back