MacRetro chat and rides thread

Mr Panda":1d2pe5c7 said:
I'd stay indoors tomorrow if I were you ;) ;)

Hawmaw":1d2pe5c7 said:
Jeezo
I must have a target on me. Was out for a ride down Langbank direction. As the road passed thru a farm I noticed young bulls either side of the road and as I went by one of them charged at me !! :shock:
How come you always seem to be in the wrong gear at times like that , my legs were spinning frantically to get away !
First wasps of the year the morn?

Glad you're alright though.

Don't say that - I've to go up the loft this weekend to remove the 6 wasps nest that are there and I'm counting on them still being asleep with the cold.

The Ken":32c7om1u said:
Don't say that - I've to go up the loft this weekend to remove the 6 wasps nest that are there and I'm counting on them still being asleep with the cold.
Ah you're alright, wasps only use a nest for the year. You'll be fine. Probably...

Might end up looking like this...
Sloth.jpg

Just be careful though. We had a wasps' nest under apex of the roof outside the bike shed. Started off small so we ignored it but it got as big as a large grapefruit and the wasps were getting to be a problem every time we went in hut. So I waited till after dark one evening to ensure they were all there and got a plumber's blowtorch to burn them out. Aimed at entrance and made sure none escaped, but the nest was so big as it burned it set the edge of roof on fire. :facepalm: Had to break nest apart to put out fire. Thought I'd got them all but wasps kept flying in to site of nest till the next day. They obviously hadn't been in nest when I torched it, they must have been latecomers returning the previous night as none escaped the inferno.

I've got nests up there almost a foot across, kinda hope they are old empty ones, I'll not be using a blowtorch in my house roof :)

I was removing the lathe and plaster ceiling in an old house and found a biiiggg nest. Did a runner till I realised it was an old one.
It filled the top half of the green wheelie-bin.

Try sealing up the entrance with some kind of foam sealant before attempting nest removal. Block the stinging barstewards inside then bag before nipping off end thats anchored to whatever and quickly tie up, a drawstring bin bags an idea. Worked for me though i didn't seal them in and was dealing with only one nest.

The problem is once they get above a certain size they aren't just anchored by a small bit. They've spread out to be part of whatever they are built on. Removing a big nest means it has to be broken apart. Mind you if it's really old it will just fall apart.

Back