Raleigh Dyna Tech Castorama , Laurent Fignon Replica

I was never really into the Dynatech range of frames, but having seen this I think I am going to have to reassess!! Who did the respray, it looks first class.

I struggled to find Hi-Lites for a previous build, settled for Specialized Turbo R's which are amber wall and slick.

Keep posting pics as you get the build done please!!

TTA - that is very much out of the top drawer - very special indeed.

Nice race number as well :)

As an interim, you could get one of these - not old school I know, but it's 50% there...(and is the proper red, not faded as my naff photo suggests)...

Attachments

• IMAG0195.jpg
    IMAG0195.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 753
This is bad ass. Were there any special considerations when painting due to the bonded construction? I know you can't really get these frames very hot..

Penfold6290":xcgevruo said:
Looking really smart, looks like we'll have a little group of Super U/Castorama replicas when Kettlo gets his pics up. I am in the process of building my team replica too, the frame is at Argos Cycles as we speak and I'm busy collecting all the bits to make up the whole bike - just rear dérailleur and brake levers to go!

What rims are you using? I managed to get a pair of NOS Michelin Hi Lite Comp (700x23C) a few weeks ago via Ebay and they really look the part.

From what I can make out the team used ITM bars and stem rather than 3TTT, although I have chosen a pair of 3TTT Paris Roubaix bars as I like the internal cable routing but have gone for an ITM stem. What bar tape are you going to use? I had a go at the tricolour design on my 531C (see below) but it met with very mixed reviews on here. I quite like it so can't decide to use that on my replica or just plain white.

_DSC2200_small.jpg

Have you chosen a saddle yet?

Loads of questions I know, I am really keen on these bikes and am now able to fulfil a 23 year old desire!

Martin

Hi rims as pictured are sup and open 4 cd,these are just to give a rolling rig and look at the contrast etc. Have a set of Mavic MA40 on Record Hubs on way (NOS) but looking at all options ,do love the way the current ones look but the rear is freewheel 8 speed so not right for this build ! Yes original bike was ITM my stem is 3ttt will be looking for matching bars tape wise will go with Benotto not sure yet about all white or Tricolour,tough but may just go white.Will keep my eyes open for some of the Hi lite tyres ! Look forward to your pictures. Oh yes at the moment my prefered saddle is the suede 3ttt
Mike

cloonaghpat":2jgpuo5h said:
Mike,

Absolutely wonderful. The paint and decals are fantastic. I just love the look of this bike. Thanks for posting. Its just class.

Regards,

Pat

Thanks for your comments Pat :D

Matt_wood55":o6w2lldv said:
I was never really into the Dynatech range of frames, but having seen this I think I am going to have to reassess!! Who did the respray, it looks first class.

I struggled to find Hi-Lites for a previous build, settled for Specialized Turbo R's which are amber wall and slick.

Keep posting pics as you get the build done please!!

Hi Matt,
Truth is don't know who did the respary,frame was from Cottingham cycle centre so a source they use ...Will keep the updates coming !

whtk":2r1rvop5 said:
This is bad ass. Were there any special considerations when painting due to the bonded construction? I know you can't really get these frames very hot..

Hi,
I bought the finished frame so not privy to this information , sorry :?

FINNEY1973":2yupnnmb said:
TTA - that is very much out of the top drawer - very special indeed.

Nice race number as well :)

As an interim, you could get one of these - not old school I know, but it's 50% there...(and is the proper red, not faded as my naff photo suggests)...

Many thanks ,Kettlo is sourcing me an exact copy of the original race plate so that will be updated.....Will definately be looking out for a original coke bottle or 2 ;) Again ,it's about getting it as good as possible ,if the bottles turn up in 2 yrs time ,I'll change them then ,but I like to get it near and then updating with ideal can happen over a longer time scale as patience is'nt my strong point .

nice .

collected a lot of those Coke bottles when watching the Tour on the side of the road , but they must be in the bin by now .

I've made some enquiries regarding Coca Cola Bottles. Will keep you posted......

I was looking at my pictures from 1989 tour de France. I wouldnt get too hung up on the TriColor handlebar tape as I have only seen that in this one picture. All of the other pictures I have seen from that tour it is just plain white. (Thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it......) I think this might have been a special look for bastille day as the french riders were prone to do during Tours back then.

What about pedals. As far as I know he used Time pedals but I dont believe there is a cat in hells chance of getting those and shoeplates o go with them. Correct me if im wrong.

I am using Look Carbon in red. Should look the part. Because at the end of the day I want to be able to ride the damm thing. I built this bike 20 years ago from the frame up using Athena because i couldnt afford C-Record (still can't ha ha) But now like most people on here I want to rebuild it the way it should have been.

I sold the bike in about 1992 to a friend and bought my Merckx, which will be in another build thread shortly. I met him about 18 months ago and asked him if he still had it and to my amazement he said he did. He also said that he had only been on it about twice since he got it. 20 odd years in the garage takes its toll tho.....He offered to sell it back to me for silly money but I could not do that to him and gave him twice what he asked for. I sold the croce Daune deltas for more than he wanted for the whole bike. That started me on the rebuild. The bike is built apart from from putting the rear axle back in and adding race numbers, bottles and name decals.

I promise I will show it soon......

Attachments

• Fignon.jpg
    Fignon.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 508
Back