9mm to QR15 conversion

Splatter Paint

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Has anybody swapped JUST fork lowers from 9mm to the QR15 version? If so was it obviously stiffer when riding? I'm considering swapping F-series Fox lowers but wonder if it is worth changing the whole fork to a Float model which has thicker stanchions :?

SP

I not ridden a 15mm bolt through fork, but the 20mm forks I have are loads stiffer than a QR fork so I'd imagine that you would notice a significant difference, especially in corners. You'll also notice it more longer travel forks...it's amazing how much perception has changed. The Fox 32 chassis was once considered to be pretty stiff but these days the longer travel versions are considered to be wobbly puddings.

Supposedly the industry heads are trying to get rid of qr in favour of 15mm for shorter travel forks.

cyfa2809":325em705 said:
Supposedly the industry heads are trying to get rid of qr in favour of 15mm for shorter travel forks.

Never...they'll just come up with another 'standard'. I reckon 12mm axles next.

On a serious note, as forks get longer it wouldn't be a bad idea.

To be honest I can't tell the difference between 15mm and the 9mm bolt through conversion for standard qr drop outs. Both are noticeably stiffer than qr Different story with 20mm though, much stiffer than anything else.

The 9mm conversion is a fair bit cheaper too.

fox fork lowers will set you back £ 201. unless you can find a busted or cheap pair. you;d be better off buying a replaceent and selling the 9mm q/r.

as for stiffness, i cannot say i noticed bad things with 9 mm q/r.

Back