Define 'DIBS' Thread

No gags here I'm afraid so probably dull and, ultimately, pointless but...

...never quite 'got' the dibs thing myself ( sounds a bit too 'Etonian' for my liking!) but I suspect Jon was trading on his status as a respected, long-time member of the forum when he saw something he wanted?

I just PM and say 'If such-and-such is still available I'll have it off you?'

I also recognise what he means by being a bit too 'Old School' for the forum now...

...there was very little effective 'Social Networking' when the forum was inaugurated so everything was somewhat more 'matey' but now you can tell with the newer members that they are more used to Facebook and Twitter than what is essentially a virtual meet at a pub ( for those that remember what it was to meet up and communicate face-to-face... :facepalm:

Which is probably why I p*ss so many people off on here when actually I'm quite a likeable person (but then again, so was Jimmy Savill once!)...

...ho-hum :|

...... :facepalm: FIVE BLOODY PAGES..... :shock:

I dont care how old this website is, how long standing the member is, how many posts he has.....

blah blah blah.

If you wanta go oldskool.....THERES A SAYING.

Money talks and BULLSHIT walks.

Harsh to some maybe. But sadly true.

ringo":2usim050 said:

Ha! One of my favourite lines (of many) from "This is Spinal Tap"

Sad fact is, if you want and you need and you HAVE THE MONEY, there is no excuse, you just lay your money on the table, ensuring its yours.

Reputation trading.....BOLOX.

AND SADLY there are NO FRIENDS in business.

Anything involving money, NEW, SECONDHAND whatever. its money.

The seller wants the MONEY. NOT A PROMISE.

DOWN WITH DIBS, loada bloody NONSENSE, that i never heard of before joining this site.

Nice in a fantasy world, but not in the real world.

I think this five page debacle kinda proves, even with the best of intentions, DIBS are a FAIL.

sinnerman":1cdoi709 said:
ringo":1cdoi709 said:

Ha! One of my favourite lines (of many) from "This is Spinal Tap"

Sad fact is, if you want and you need and you HAVE THE MONEY, there is no excuse, you just lay your money on the table, ensuring its yours.

DOWN WITH DIBS, loada bloody NONSENSE, that i never heard of before joining this site.

I think this five page debacle kinda proves, even with the best of intentions, DIBS are a FAIL.

Its the real world

Nailed it!

Only exception for me is when a size, or condition or pictures are missing / poor.

[/quote]

Its the real world[/quote]

Nailed it!

Only exception for me is when a size, or condition or pictures are missing / poor.[/quote]

Agreed, but then if some one is prepared to take the chance, and lays the money down first, you shit and bust.

Last time I "nailed it" i ended up marrying her...i don't reccomend nailing anything from this point forward

sylus":25wucnxs said:
Last time I "nailed it" i ended up marrying her...i don't reccomend nailing anything from this point forward

We all end up paying one way or the other............... :LOL:

Be to be fair JON, given your in business with a level of respect, and been here a long time, im surprised, you didnt just follow up with a pm, and payment request details.

Even more surprised you felt the need to start this thread, i had you down as a little bit bigger than that.

Sorry mate you just surprised me.

Back