full sus bike sizing

joe careless

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
'I no idea how i size a full sus bike out as I never work on them (people just don't seem to have them here) i ride bikes in the region of 22'' frames so how does it work as I keep getting told of a nice Kona stinky at 17'', :facepalm:

Got to throw your leg over it really I would say. My full sus is a 17.5 which Trek say means an actual of 16.5. I am 5ft 9 and it works perfect for me. Loads of standover and the right TT length too.

Dead confusing isn't it. Its quite rare that people run really big frames these days, though I've just got my 6ft5 mate a bargain 21" entry level HT. My HT is a 17.5 but arguably I'm really a 19" in modern sizes. Ive not ridden my FS frame properly yet just a test ride, hardest thing was getting used to teh lay back and squish! but I think it's a 19", the front end is fairly short, and the rear a bit longer than HT's. Might be worth trying a few.

Effective top tube length (ETT) is the important thing to get right, in my opinion.
How tall are you that you need a 22" frame??

I'm 6'2'' and fairly long backed, long legged plus I have hurt my back so it's down to riding position. I ride all manner of bikes and all in slightly different sizes. time to go to a hire centre and 'ave a go at a few full sus bikes, then find a cheaper one. :LOL:

Hire centre is actually a great idea.
I'm also 6ft2 depends how you want it to handle and what you want it for I guess. I'd convinced myself my bike was a bit small the other week till we met with a mates mates who were into downhill and stuff serious and they had really undersized their bikes for control, some had anyway.
Back issue I'd get it looked at, try some new exercise classes such as tai chi Pilates or yoga or mat exercises, unless it was an accident or something it can get better. Also relax on the bike, this advice comes from subtlety getting it wrong for years!

Back injury was from a previous job, and my return to cycling has strengthened the muscle group in that area,and also my knees have improved massively as everything is held much stronger, yes flexibilty is good.

If its any help...I ride a "large" 2008 Marin full suss. In inches from the centre BB to top of seat tube about 19". I am just shy of 6ft 4 and a long in the body rather than the legs! I have the seat up a fair way and a 110mm stem and its fits good...pic below of how it is set up for me:

Wook

Attachments

• 2008 Marin Rift Zone.jpg
    2008 Marin Rift Zone.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 334
I came to the conclusion that a 19'' is what I would need, then I look at my '97 marin I.F.T. and think with a few tweaks there's a machine with high capabilities.

Back