Square taper, grease or not!!!!

24pouces":1u02ylgo said:
gerryattrick":1u02ylgo said:
WOW! Six pages of views and no significant majority on either side. That must show it doesn't matter either way so stick with whatever method you prefer, it won't make a bit of difference apparently.

It's only my opinion. Perhaps it's idiot but since I've got titanium parts, I grease quite everything with cupper grease.
Copper grease should really only be used in steel on steel applications. Adding a 3rd reactive metal to steel and alloy, or to and alloy can cause problems. For other metals moly based antiseize compound is a less reactive, safer bet.

twain":3q1eiqxt said:
there's only one thing for it.
a thread poll!!!!!

I like to grease my BB tapers.... but then I also really like to leave them dry

But which is best... there's only one way to find out....

harry-hill-tv-burp-fight-o.gif

FIGHT :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Let's all grease one side and leave the other side dry, then all come back in a year or two with stories of which side worked loose or got seized. Then we can start another debate about Cornwall being more humid than Norfolk or why cycling an anticlockwise circular route daily makes your chainrings fall off.

RadNomad":3gwla1nj said:
Let's all grease one side and leave the other side dry, then all come back in a year or two with stories of which side worked loose or got seized. Then we can start another debate about Cornwall being more humid than Norfolk or why cycling an anticlockwise circular route daily makes your chainrings fall off.
An excellent idea about one side greased and not the other.It allows the tests to be carried out in different conditions. Some could grease the drive side whereas others could grease the non drive side. Then theres the usage factor or steady or smooth on road pedaling versus more jerky off road with occasional high torques :?

Can we at least agree to stop using CNC machines,Lathe morse tapers as examples because theyre not the same thing and dont perform under the same conditions or even use the same torques to drive them. :?
You cant compare a truck to a sports car and rule the truck better because it has a more powerful engine.

I think despite the protestations this thread might actually achieve some interesting results. Well, that is if the tests are actually carried out :LOL:

Chopper1192":1dpyoa9l said:
24pouces":1dpyoa9l said:
gerryattrick":1dpyoa9l said:
WOW! Six pages of views and no significant majority on either side. That must show it doesn't matter either way so stick with whatever method you prefer, it won't make a bit of difference apparently.

It's only my opinion. Perhaps it's idiot but since I've got titanium parts, I grease quite everything with cupper grease.
Copper grease should really only be used in steel on steel applications. Adding a 3rd reactive metal to steel and alloy, or to and alloy can cause problems. For other metals moly based antiseize compound is a less reactive, safer bet.

In all due fairness all the 'high end' Ti parts I've bought have come with their own tube of anti-sieze, and it certainly looks like a copper compound...

:LOL: :facepalm: :idea: :!:

DING DING ROUND ONE

People who don't lube tapers are just lazy or under paid far east workers who don't have time or lube at hand.

Back