Lake District National - 23 March

Having also done said passes on my motorbike I agree they are a serious challenge but one I want to succeed with so a triple chainset from the world of mtb's might get fitted :D

Hawmaw":35j9jqi5 said:
I'm on holiday when the Lakes Road ride is on however the mention of the passes fills me with dread. Having done Wrynose , Hardknott , Kirkstone etc on my motorbike the thought of cycling up them scares me :shock:

The thought of cycling down them scares me more! :shock:

firedfromthecircus":3bpbcpri said:
Hawmaw":3bpbcpri said:
I'm on holiday when the Lakes Road ride is on however the mention of the passes fills me with dread. Having done Wrynose , Hardknott , Kirkstone etc on my motorbike the thought of cycling up them scares me :shock:

The thought of cycling down them scares me more! :shock:

I always have a laugh when the hardcore MTB crowd have a laugh at roadies saying they are soft. I can only presume they have never seen a high speed descent in one of the big races. Terrifying stuff.

I know several folk who have come off at speed on high speed decents. Not nice.
A girl I work with came off at 40mph+ and lost lots of skin and broke several bones !

Skinny slick tyres, rubbish brakes and steep steering angles with front heavy geometry do not make for ideal DH bikes.
I still shudder when I remember that crash in the TDF when 'cheating american' was chasing the other guy who I can never remember down a pass when said other guys tubes rolled off his rim due to the heat in the tyres and he had that hideous crash that caused 'cheating american' to go all cyclocross to cut the corner. :shock:

Just had a check and I'm off but I do have something on the previous weekend and two would be pushing it. If I did go it would be up and down in a day. 3hrs 30mins , 187miles for me.

The Ken":1e6kev8r said:
I'll not make it, got a work trip that week.... Mt Tam calling at the end of it too. :)

Swears silently under breath. Lucky barsteward.

I don't know if I will actually make it up to Mt Tam but I will be on a bike in Marin, I am actually a bit annoyed to be missing the Lakes National - it is one ride I am really keen to do, last year looked fantastic and loads of great riding there.

I've the green light for this one, I'll be travelling up and down on the day and be going M77/M74 if anyone is wanting to share a lift.

Back