Moving to Stoke-on-Trent.....

markyp

Retro Guru
Looking to move there (new job)......any advice on places to live/avoid appreciated
I hear the hills are bigger there, than here in Northampton?

Mark

Avoid Bentilee like the plague, As well as Stoke itself. Newcastle is nice as is Maybank/Wolstanton. Trentham is expensive. Barlaston has some nice downs and easy to get to Cannock from there. Depends on your budget for housing.

Stone seems pretty decent, dunno if that would be too far out of your commuting radius though. Then again both trains and main roads between there and Stoke are quick enough (ditto Stafford, for that matter).

David

IMHO, some of that scenery to the south of the city is pretty much like Northamptonshire. It's OK, rolling rural with a few more hedges, but don't forget the north-side.

You've got Congleton, Alsager, Leek, Cheadle, Endon, Kidsgrove, Biddulph, etc.

All pretty nice on the borders of the Peak District, without the National Park prices, but with The Roaches, The Cloud, Mow Cop, Manifold Valley, Staffordshire Moorlands, views over Cheshire...

028942-01_Hen-Cloud-The-Roaches-Nr-Leek-Peak-District-Staffordshire-England.jpg
Manifold-valley-006.jpg

_51879857_climbers_on_the_roaches_rocks_in_the_staffordshire_moor_smal.jpg

Where's work going to be?

Like so many 19thC industrial cities, most of the building was speculative commercial stuff, so there are pockets of poverty and decline cheek by jowl with post old factory managers houses built around the pot banks, and new estates.
I like the place...unpretentious but friendly, without any great ego or chippiness....unlike a couple of other NW cities I could think of. (I'll get my coat).

PS: You'll get used to locals asking: "Why on earth did you move to Stoke?" and saying: " I'm not being nosey, I'm just interested..."
PPS: Always say that you like Staffordshire oatcakes, even if you don't. Personally, I love them (Honestly).

All the best,

PPS: Always say that you like Staffordshire oatcakes, even if you don't. Personally, I love them (Honestly).

MMMM oatcakes. I get a regular shipment :) Along with Meat n tater wrights pies.

MMM, foil tray pies....I never knew there were so many sorts 'till my life bumped into Stoke: Sausage, bean and cheese pasty (all in one), Pea supper pie, Chicken Balti premium...:D

And of course any oatcakes have to be the fresh, feathery light and crispy edged ones from High Lane. Rubbing shoulders with Stoke royalty...Robbie W and Phil 'The Power'.

With my in-law family, you practically have to spit on the ground and mutter "like shammy leathers" if they are from anywhere else, especially Povey's. Otherwise (apparently) they'll curl up in your guts and kill you. :shock:

All the best,

Logic.Al":3loaninb said:

MMMM oatcakes. I get a regular shipment :) Along with Meat n tater wrights pies.

I hope you mean the weird pancake type oatcakes that seem to be unique to Stoke... Not the biscuity ones

rosstheboss":vux37f5c said:
Logic.Al":vux37f5c said:

I hope you mean the weird pancake type oatcakes that seem to be unique to Stoke... Not the biscuity ones

I've had some of the Scottish biscuity ones - they work pretty well with cheese!

David

rosstheboss":zc5199ri said:
Logic.Al":zc5199ri said:

Yes those ones :) not the nasty Scottish biscuits.

Back