Aluminium O Middle Age Spread?

Aluminium Ohhh

Retro Guru
I have a Orange Aluminium O circa 1993 which I have owned now for close on 18 years (second owner)
It still has most of the original partson from when I bought it
Pace RC35 Atmosphere Balanced
Hope Hubs
Mavic 217 rims
Mavic Headset
XTR Canti brakes
XT front & rear mech - these were replaced around 12-15 years ago
Suntour XC Pro crank
XT cassette
Hyperlite bars
Avocet saddle
USE seatpost

It finally got a good strip down and rebuild last weekend and I weighed varoius components when off the bike
I was suprised that although the frame weighs only 2.28KG (5lb) (inc headset) the bike overall weighs 15KG 33lb
Im sure I read somewhere about an 'O' that was around 24lb - was this my imagination?

Any thought ideas to reduce weight or is this about right for the era?

33lbs for the complete bike seems a little heavy, I would have expected more like 25-26lbs?

Are the scales right?

What size frame is it?

You don't have monster tyres on it or anything do you?

That is far too heavy and quite hard to do with the parts you have there.
Alu-O's were 1991 and 1992, post some pictures up.
What size frames is it as 5lb is as bit lighter than my 1992 frame (there are two types of 1991 and two of 1992) The serial also tells you, cable stops and mech hanger tell you a lot as well).

edit... to tidy up the mess my phone made of that text.

I will post some pics up tonight
Its anodised purple but has been painted purple, I was told that Orange did this, as it was only a year old when I bought it, it seemed feasible

its a 21"

And yes it does have some pretty cack tyres on but not monsters

More later

Sounds like the last 1992 model, that ran into 1993 with the Purple Ano. option then. Unless there was a 5th batch of course, that ones that know always said there were 4 batches. Crack tyres wouldn't bed a 1lb to 2lb difference, that is not enough.

What are you using to weigh it ?

This is the well used advert from the end of 1992 giving the new '1993' models.
Quite easy that they might have used up the last of the frames as given all the steel bike where lighter I would have though most, I know I did, plumped for the prestige for quite a bit less.

orangestif.jpg

Thanks for the responses

A mixture of issues was found this evening
The original scales were out by some margin, now using salter digital fishing scales
The tyres are heavy at 0.94 and 0.87kg as are pedals which are flat one side SPD the other

Good news tonight's weigh in just under 28lb

Thank you all for advice I will post some pics tomorrow see if you can establish year

The problem is there is no universal method of weighing bikes. Most manufacturers quote without tyres and pedals, but that's not set in stone. The exception is Giant who don't officially quote at all, although many large retailers quote their own figures for Giants. This is why chucking our own complete bikes on the scales is unlikely to bear much relation to any manufacturers quoted figures.

They used to weigh with pedals and tyres and the muddle size (or smallest for the cheeky companies) frame.
I.e. as species in the spec list.
When did they start dropping the err quite major parts of a bike?

The three above are probably 1.5 to 1.8lb above the typical retro tyre at approx 500g each.
Pedals compared to some none SPD are probably another third of a pound more..
Inner tubes is another hidden weight, take your average Tesco job and at ~250g, moved to some 150g which is not super light but a mid weight and cheaper alternative getting on for another half pound... I have pulled out even heavier as well.

Back