Raleigh Dyna Tech Castorama , Laurent Fignon Replica

tarloone":3gto5trd said:
One of my fave frames of all time...You've already got the brakes, thats the expensive bit over!

Yes have always wanted a project for some Delta's now I've found my chance ! Brakes were the first thing I went for after getting the frame ! I remember in about 2006 the Deltas were selling at 90- £100 a set (calipers only) wish I'd bought 10 sets then ....................... :D

Fantastic project, looking forward to seeing further progress. Looking great so far :D Only thing i'd change is the bottle & cage. While its a good match for the groupset and is certainly worth holding onto, a '89 Fignon bike would'nt be right without a Tour Coca Cola bottle. Hard to find in original condition, and will probably cost the earth! :eek:

Keep up the good work.....

fignon1989toura_138_zps099a6490.jpg

mAdam":32ny9vfr said:
Fantastic project, looking forward to seeing further progress. Looking great so far :D Only thing i'd change is the bottle & cage. While its a good match for the groupset and is certainly worth holding onto, a '89 Fignon bike would'nt be right without a Tour Coca Cola bottle. Hard to find in original condition, and will probably cost the earth! :eek:

Keep up the good work.....

fignon1989toura_138_zps099a6490.jpg

Yep !Qite a few bits here won't be the eventual items and was definately thinking maybe the coke bottles......Anyway a liile sneak at a possible tyre choice !Very aware that his bike had white wall tyres rather than amber wall !!Well after net surfing I only found 1 supply for white wall 23 mm tyres

Attachments

• phpTzfQYVAM.jpg
    phpTzfQYVAM.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,530
  • phpQs46CWAM.jpg
    phpQs46CWAM.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,530
  • phpiiVmpRAM.jpg
    phpiiVmpRAM.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,530
Castorama used Michelin HiLites back then at a time when the rest mostly used tubulars which were very tan in colour. This made the Michelins look white in comparison. I used a few sets back in the early 90's and although they had a very light coloured side wall, they were never truely white. I'd agree most of the photos of Fignon and company from back then made his tyres look white. I reckon its a combination of the bright French sun and the dark tan of everyone elses tubs?

Your tyres do look remarkably close to those in the photo of Fignon, and they will possibly weather in a bit, so, unless you manage to turn up a NOS pair of Michelin HiLites, i'd stick with them :D

Indoors with better lighting :D

Attachments

• phpbszS3IAM.jpg
    phpbszS3IAM.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,088
  • phpkvUuh7AM.jpg
    phpkvUuh7AM.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,088
  • php7cTCr3AM.jpg
    php7cTCr3AM.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,088
mAdam":22vvukhd said:
Castorama used Michelin HiLites back then at a time when the rest mostly used tubulars which were very tan in colour. This made the Michelins look white in comparison. I used a few sets back in the early 90's and although they had a very light coloured side wall, they were never truely white. I'd agree most of the photos of Fignon and company from back then made his tyres look white. I reckon its a combination of the bright French sun and the dark tan of everyone elses tubs?

Your tyres do look remarkably close to those in the photo of Fignon, and they will possibly weather in a bit, so, unless you manage to turn up a NOS pair of Michelin HiLites, i'd stick with them :D

Many thanks for your information very useful ,have stuck it up in the spare room ,the more I look at it the more I feel it is as close and we are going to get :!:

Looking really smart, looks like we'll have a little group of Super U/Castorama replicas when Kettlo gets his pics up. I am in the process of building my team replica too, the frame is at Argos Cycles as we speak and I'm busy collecting all the bits to make up the whole bike - just rear dérailleur and brake levers to go!

What rims are you using? I managed to get a pair of NOS Michelin Hi Lite Comp (700x23C) a few weeks ago via Ebay and they really look the part.

From what I can make out the team used ITM bars and stem rather than 3TTT, although I have chosen a pair of 3TTT Paris Roubaix bars as I like the internal cable routing but have gone for an ITM stem. What bar tape are you going to use? I had a go at the tricolour design on my 531C (see below) but it met with very mixed reviews on here. I quite like it so can't decide to use that on my replica or just plain white.

_DSC2200_small.jpg

Have you chosen a saddle yet?

Loads of questions I know, I am really keen on these bikes and am now able to fulfil a 23 year old desire!

Martin

Mike,

Absolutely wonderful. The paint and decals are fantastic. I just love the look of this bike. Thanks for posting. Its just class.

Regards,

Pat

Back