Not So New Build - Genesis Fortitude - 2 Years In

CTK":2w2l7aqd said:
Looks good-Quite fancy one of these as my first foray into 29ers. I'd go for the SS one probably, though I prefer the green!

I'd be interested to see how this compares to the Solaris. Are you going for suspension on the Cotic?

Bar a couple of additional fix points this is the SS frame - ironically I would have preferred the black of the SS :LOL:

My only criticism is that it do do with a touch more clearance at the back.

My Solaris is currently running 100mm travel.

The Fortitude (despite its weight) is an absolute hoot. Apart from the odd chain lube every now and then its maintenance free.

will be ordering the fortitude adventure frame to build a SS with (gives me the alfine and racks option at a later date). at 6'3" please tell me you're on the 20.5 frame. I'm 6'2" and veering towards the 20.5, but with such a long head tube I can't rule out the 19". ANy thoughts? hoping to test ride this weekend. cheers

Kev7654":3pdcw77d said:
will be ordering the fortitude adventure frame to build a SS with (gives me the alfine and racks option at a later date). at 6'3" please tell me you're on the 20.5 frame. I'm 6'2" and veering towards the 20.5, but with such a long head tube I can't rule out the 19". ANy thoughts? hoping to test ride this weekend. cheers

I'm as near as makes no difference 6' 3''.

Currently running an inline post, 80mm stem and 762mm bars.

Its a great fit.

Actually is the only bike thats getting ridden at the minute!

My Solaris is still yet to see dirt :oops:

Oh Nice. So how does it compare to the Solaris, the Soul, and didn't you have a Genesis Day One too? maybe that was somebod else.

Funny how cycling geometry is getting back to it's roots. I posted up a thread on the DMR Wrath, MTB suspension design gone back to simple BMX Cruiser/old MTB shape. At 6ft 2 though I quite like a reasonably high front, this is all comparable to the racey shaped retros of the early 90's

@Kev - yes its the 20.5'' - How did your test ride go?

@reanimation - To be honest its a completely different beast. This is one of the few mass produced non suspension corrected frames meaning that the fork is no longer than one found on a 100mm corrected 26er.

I have had and tried a number of 29er and found on several that the front ends were just too high. This has a lower that usual front end for a 29er.

I find the bike very comfortable. The Alfine and tyres (especially front) add considerable weight but it just seems to work.

That said I am looking forward to getting out on my Solaris :twisted:

was going to ask about the hub but got my answers above which just leaves (sigh) those grips... you like? and why? started getting a bit of numbness of recent rides and had something similar recommended to me and wrists! o_0

I really like the grips.

I only noticed I suffered a bit of wrist ache with the wider bars.

The larger contact area of the grip is good and supportive.

I would suggest that if you have small hands to try first as to get the angle right for support can make a bit of a handful (pun intended!)

M

letmetalktomark":ib2hoiyq said:
I really like the grips.

I only noticed I suffered a bit of wrist ache with the wider bars.

The larger contact area of the grip is good and supportive.

I would suggest that if you have small hands to try first as to get the angle right for support can make a bit of a handful (pun intended!)

M

Righto!

Not got small hands though, same height as you IIRC :LOL:

Re: New Bike Content - Genesis Fortitude Adventure :) Rigid

Mud, glorious mud*.

-2_zps5ece423a.jpg

*Actually horrible claggy stuff that hasn't dried yet :|

Back