'93 Kona Fire Mountain - finished for now.

Re: celebrating the mid range - '93 Kona Fire Mountain

My_Teenage_Self":18qjpe2c said:
legrandefromage":18qjpe2c said:
...Nah, something to have aspired to 20 years ago if you were still rattling around on the tired well intentioned christmas or birthday bike...

Right, Sorry if I go on a bit here.

In 93 I was 14, and My best mate had let me have a go on his Muddy Fox Courier Mega: I needed a mountain bike.

I had a raleigh lizard, and quickly realised that it was not the pinnacle of MTB makers art. I trawled all the catalogues and fell head over heels with the Kona range, they really were unique, with their modern blackwall tyres, sloping top tubes, and straight legged forks. I nagged my parents for 7 months that I wanted a Fire mountain for my Birthday. I knew it was expensive, but I gave them enough notice! On my birthday, my parents excitedly ushered me into the garage, and under a sheet I found a Muddy Fox Pathfinder. Gutted.

I rode that Pathfinder everywhere for 2 years, by which time, I had a part time job, and bought a malt 1 from merlin cycles. But I never lost my love for the 93 Fire mountain.

So, when this came up on here for a criminally low price, I had to have it!

SAM_0325.jpg

Factory standard, except the saddle (Ritchey logic), Grips (ODI) and a nice set of period Magura HS11s. I never put a thread up, as I didn't think anyone would want to see a Fire Mountain! :facepalm:

She's a joy to ride. LGF, You won't be disappointed!

You knows it!

Well its here, its 1" and its shiny with a few old scuffs from the years. Guy had had it from new. Will build it up on Thursday.

Attachments

• 1993 Kona Fire Mountain.jpg
    1993 Kona Fire Mountain.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 406

Yay! Good for you!

I always lusted after a 94 Fire Mountain when I was about 16/17. Never got one, When I could afford a decent MTB I got an Orange, but the memory of my mates 94 Fire Mountain stayed with me.

I now have a frame to build up, looking forward to it too!

I got 1 on ebay a few weeks ago for £23! Everything on it was original apart from the saddle, even the tyres. Unfortunately it was too small for me, so I gave it to another member here in return for services rendered :)

Well done LGF i'm glad someone on here got it :)
If it stayed low i was going to have a punt but forgot about the auction end :facepalm:

I know I said 'celebrate the mid-range' - I wasnt expecting quite so much interest.

It gets built on Thursday.

I may be wrong here but isn't the Lava Dome frame the same as the Cinder Cone anyway?

Nothing mid range about the handling, great bikes. As long as you don't paint them white. :roll:

Right. Done.

Early LX, later Kona wheels, thumbies. Rare 'all shimano' build. even the chain and cassette.

Too small so will have to jiggle it a bit.

Its been at least 10 years since I last had steel Kona - I folded myself up onto this one and it was like stepping back in time 20 years. Immediately felt that Kona signature that these frames have, even the mid range stuff.

Not to be ridden with a beer gut thats for sure.

Attachments

• 1993 Kona Fire Mountain finished.jpg
    1993 Kona Fire Mountain finished.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 221

legrandefromage":3s3m916r said:
Right. Done.

Early LX, later Kona wheels, thumbies. Rare 'all shimano' build. even the chain and cassette.

Too small so will have to jiggle it a bit.

Its been at least 10 years since I last had steel Kona - I folded myself up onto this one and it was like stepping back in time 20 years. Immediately felt that Kona signature that these frames have, even the mid range stuff.

Not to be ridden with a beer gut thats for sure.

nice! rode my Cindercone to my new job today. fun!! thats on skinny slicks and very quick handling,so so different to all the other bikes i have.

Back