RM Altitude racer 1993 USA

FluffyChicken":b11tarja said:
:D

Pete, where did you find the serial number by the way, i'll then know where to scrap might paint away.

At least Steve getting these means I can do something interesting with mine paint wise and get the decal reproduced properly (I do know the other has some replacement decals on).
So thanks both of you :LOL:

The serial number is on the underside of the bottom bracket shell. I'll take a pic tonight or tomorrow to give you more specific co-ordinates. It's very faint though --- well, the first 3 letters are quite clear "RMA" ... it's the remainder of it that is hard to read.

Happy to see fans of these old RM's. Now if I could only find a damn 17" frame over here that didn't cost a small fortune :)

PeteC":1kxddfhn said:
FluffyChicken":1kxddfhn said:
:D

Pete, where did you find the serial number by the way, i'll then know where to scrap might paint away.

At least Steve getting these means I can do something interesting with mine paint wise and get the decal reproduced properly (I do know the other has some replacement decals on).
So thanks both of you :LOL:

The serial number is on the underside of the bottom bracket shell. I'll take a pic tonight or tomorrow to give you more specific co-ordinates. It's very faint though --- well, the first 3 letters are quite clear "RMA" ... it's the remainder of it that is hard to read.

Happy to see fans of these old RM's. Now if I could only find a damn 17" frame over here that didn't cost a small fortune :)

That's where I thought it would be (like all the others) but I cannot see one there, if it's faint though it'll need the paint stripping properly. Still I don't need one as it's very easy to tell what frame/year it is. Just for completion sake really.
It's the first year they used 'A' in the serial to signify an Altitude. Interesting they don't put a year in though, they did later on from what it seems.

I can just make out the letters RMA on the other frame in that position
Think I will give it a good clean and look again under a bright light

FluffyChicken":2a2ofxle said:
That's where I thought it would be (like all the others) but I cannot see one there, if it's faint though it'll need the paint stripping properly. Still I don't need one as it's very easy to tell what frame/year it is. Just for completion sake really.
It's the first year they used 'A' in the serial to signify an Altitude. Interesting they don't put a year in though, they did later on from what it seems.

Interesting. I still own a '93 Hammer and there's no indication of year from the frame's serial number either. Same with my 1992 Stratos. Can't recall the serial number on my 2000 Vertex though?!? I wonder what year that started?

On Steve's frame, the rest of the number looks like '002245', I think. But everything after the 'RMA' is hard to read, and I'd be hard pressed to really commit to any part of that number.

FluffyChicken":1zozfpoh said:
That's where I thought it would be (like all the others) but I cannot see one there, if it's faint though it'll need the paint stripping properly.
Have you tried shining a torch on it sideways, along the surface of the bb Ben?

Steve your other frame does have as full serial as it was used to confirm it was a Team frame with Rocky and to get some more stickers back when I was looking at it as a bike.
I'll have to go through the paint first, needs to co e of anyway.

The Hammer should have a Date code as they're the Ixxxxxxxx codes I think.. Not to derail this build thread of course, :oops:

and I bet both are built quicker than mine.
;-)

FluffyChicken":9qwefzm4 said:
The Hammer should have a Date code as they're the Ixxxxxxxx codes I think.. Not to derail this build thread of course, :oops:
and I bet both are built quicker than mine.
;-)

Sorry - not to derail either, but the serial number on my Hammer is simply '8141' and it's as plain as day. If there's anything stamped before it, I can't see it.

Ben - have you posted your Altitude on here? Would love to follow that thread, too.

Couple o' parting shots of the Altitude before it heads across the pond.

Attachments

• DSC_0901.jpg
    DSC_0901.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0904.jpg
    DSC_0904.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0906.jpg
    DSC_0906.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_0909.jpg
    DSC_0909.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 213
Sounds primary school stuff but sometimes when I've had problems with reading frame numbers... the old pencil has saved the day ala brass rubbing

Great pics Pete I can't wait....

Pencil , brass rubbing sounds like a plan and a bit like those forensic techniques to read letters from the next sheet of paper in the block using graphite powder

I made the mistake on the UK frame of over cleaning it and not sure I want to cut the paint back just for the number....

Back