Repairing stripped crank thread help please

Quick update.
Took it in to one of the lbs's round here (chaineys if you know the area) he said they use a guy in Leighton buzzard and they'll let me know tomorrow.
Worse case scenario, I might even buy the tools and give it a go 'meself. I mean, what's the worst that can happen..............
:shock:

everybody at some point looks at fitting a helicoil - from memory you are looking at around £ 60 for the kit for one size.... although I daresay you may get it for less.

the tricky part will be to dirll the hole accurately, you will need a drill press. I would suggest taking the spindle off the pedal or finding a bolt with the same thread (you are doing the RH pedal that has RH thread and not LH which has LH thread???), fit it to the pedal, put it in the chuck, then clamp pedal in the vice (vice is clamped too), remove spindle/bolt and fit the drill bit - that way it is aligned.

:facepalm: it looks like he's dangling a loofa off of his face.
Anyway, guy in Leighton buzzard doesn't have the kit, tried a local suppliers,they can get me a kit ordered, but am tempted to try a bush kit instead of a helicoil. I'm no engineer but a solid metal insert should surely be stronger than a coil of high tensile wire??
http://www.ceeway.com/economy%20worksho ... ilding.htm

That beard! :LOL: Helicoils are often used to strengthen threads on top end aluminium products. Race cars and bikes aircraft etc,,,They are stronger than a "normal" thread so no worry's there..There are some very well priced kits on the bay.
Go on do it!.. Very satisfying and you well never see stripped threads as a problem ever again,it's that easy.Just take care that you keep everything square.
Not only did his facial hair need improving but so do his engineering skills...best done with a drill press {pillar drill) not only to drill the hole but to start the tapping(power turned off !) Loads better tutorials on you-tube.
Mark.

try... B-Fast Tools on kiln farm industrial estate or there is another tool/fixing company on there that may have what you need but I cant remember their name :facepalm:

Right so after checking the thread pitch(9/16x20) couldn't find a helicoil tap that'd fit so ordered the tap and bush set from ceeway,I must say I'm quite looking forward to it turning up as I'm one those who'll try anything once.........

Except brownlove!!!

And heroin!!!

Just a quick one,kit turned up Fridaybut won't be able to do anything yet as can't find crank arm (in one of many boxes of spares whilst I sort out garage) when I find it I'll be sure and take a few pics to post up,from what I can remember its proper mullered!!

Latest posts

Back