1991 Team Marin

There's a young lady I occasionally see on my way to/from work who has a women's Marin in a tri-colour scheme.

I can't remember the colours now, I thought it was fluoro yellow/pink/blue, but I'm sure they didn't make a women's version of the team.

It's in fantastic condition, whatever model it is, I'll have to pay more attention next time.

Those pictures made my pupils contract and my eyes shrink back in their sockets.

I'm looking for new chain rings and I see a lot of them say they are designed for 3/32" 9 speed. Is this just chain dimension nomenclature or do I actually have to find a ring designed for a 7 speed with a triple in front? Something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Stronglight-5-Ar ... 3376a9292b

sylus":2r7muop0 said:
PopsTrippin":2r7muop0 said:
You'd be lucky to find an unfaded neon Marin nowadays. Rich.

There is a bear valley one that seems to have lasted and is owned in here.. since the thread link it has been sold to another member the lucky git

viewtopic.php?t=173418

Nice Eldridge you have there.
Thanks for the link on the chainring. There are a couple local places who do vintage bikes I am going to call when they open in an hour to see if they have anything, otherwise I will take that one. It looks to be in great shape.

The seatpost is 30.2 (30.3 but there isn't such a thing evidently). The one I have is pretty marked up but it is the original marin post. The handlebar is white but also relatively chewed up. I am half considering a carbon 30.2 seatpost and a carbon 25.4 x 600mm handlebar. Is this considered blasphemy around these parts? Intended usage will be trail to all mountain.

A small update. I am giving the little bits and pieces an oxalic acid bath. The screws had some rust and a few other parts were marred by the brown stuff. This should clean it up. I may get some replacement limit screws as they are starting to strip. Sorry for the bad iPad photos.

a8d35519732ee6e9f2af2695794851f2_zps359d1cf9.jpg

028503152e98dd55e7a0e6aae99d7180_zps0cdfbe84.jpg

I also purchased the chain ring posted earlier. My lbs has a 24 tooth ring that I may have a look at in the next few days but the middle ring was by far the worst. The outer ring at 46 teeth still remains at large. I am reconsidering the seat post. It is original to the bike and maybe I can touch it up a bit. The handlebars I am not the fondest of but again, original.

Narhay":3ke75dhx said:
I am half considering a carbon 30.2 seatpost and a carbon 25.4 x 600mm handlebar. Is this considered blasphemy around these parts?
In a word, yes! New carbon parts just won't look right on a 22 year old bike. There's plenty of period stems, bars, and seatposts around ;)

So I am keeping the seatpost but I have ordered a black handlebar to replace the white faded with some yellow and gouged one currently on there. The black matches the tires, seatpost, headset and some trim a lot better than the random white bar.

The oxalic acid bath worked...ok. It tidied up a couple pieces but nothing magical. I used steel wool to scrape away what I could after the bath but I think that is going to be all she wrote for that cleaning angle.

I am considering some blue anodized chainring bolts to match the blue on the frame. The ones I have now are somewhat rusted, pitted and malformed from the oxidation but I am having a hard time finding the 10 bolts, spacers and 5 nuts required.

An update on this. I managed to source replacements for several of the rusted out screws and cantilever cable hanger so I have some nice shiny silvery bits on there now. I am waiting for the new Truvativ black handlebar so that I can swap my components over with new grips and gaudy bar ends.

The hub locknut and cone nut both use my 13/14mm cone wrench. Unfortunately I have only the one so I haven't been able to repack the bearings. I ordered another set of wrenches to do this when they arrive.

The right shifter for the 7 speed rear cog has had some issues. It shifts ok but when I move the large lever to move to a bigger cog wheel, I have to pull it back manually so something with the spring load isn't functioning properly.

I am keeping the saddle and seatpost.

The wheels need to be trued and I have a feeling that setting up the cantilever brakes is going to be a PITA.

I will post a picture of the chain rings...the chewed up teeth might actually be designed like that so I will let you guys use your internet armchair expertise to let me know if it is in need of replacement or not. They aren't sharp jaws teeth by any means but several of them are ground to about half the height of the others.

Narhay":1p4l5ttl said:
The right shifter for the 7 speed rear cog has had some issues. It shifts ok but when I move the large lever to move to a bigger cog wheel, I have to pull it back manually so something with the spring load isn't functioning properly.

I will post a picture of the chain rings...the chewed up teeth might actually be designed like that so I will let you guys use your internet armchair expertise to let me know if it is in need of replacement or not. They aren't sharp jaws teeth by any means but several of them are ground to about half the height of the others.
Not unheard of for early Rapidfire shifters to be mis-behaving. Unfortunately the early models are quiet complex to take apart and if the internals are worn there's not a lot you can do. Look for a good used set or switch to more-reliable thumbshifters ;)

Yes some chainrings have shallow teeth to aid shifting. More important is the gaps between the teeth that the chain rests against... If the teeth start looking like a shark's fin then you might need a new chain/cassette too, depending on how long the bike has been run with a stretched chain.

Screen-shot-2013-02-08-at-4.44.49-PM.png

Latest posts

Back