'93 Kona Fire Mountain - finished for now.

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Or the mediocre? Nah, something to have aspired to 20 years ago if you were still rattling around on the tired well intentioned christmas or birthday bike.

Super exiting parts such as DX thumbies as standard - looking at the catalog spec, I have most of an earlier LX groupset rather than the original Exage mix.

10.jpg

$T2eC16dHJHgE9n0yHE)DBRISrSjiU!~~60_12.JPG

Re: celebrating the mid range - '93 Kona Fire Mountain

They're great bikes though I may be a little biased

nice! steel Konas of that vintage look good,also a bit biased as i have a Cindercone from that time.

Cheers!

I'm picking the bits up tonight after A: bidding and actually winning something and B: being near enough to pick it up in the first place.

This will be a very unexciting build - no bling, just solid dependable parts. I did find a OEM Kona wheelset down the tip late last year so that got me thinking on perhaps my first built up steel Kona in some 10 years (the last one being a Cindercone pulled out of the river!).

You got it for a good price - it looks in good nick as well.

Its all about the mid range... my 94 fire mountain was my favourite ever bike ;-)

jinjrich":35b2hqnk said:
Its all about the mid range... my 94 fire mountain was my favourite ever bike ;-)

I had a 94 and loved it. I went to the shop to buy a Cannondale and saw the Konas and fell in love with the way they looked. I ended up stripping it right back and making it into a fast city bike on slicks and it was perfect for the job, great pointy handling.

I've had a 1998 Lavadome since new, brilliant bikes, ride it and you'll have a smile on your face guaranteed!

Love the 93 paint schemes :cool:

legrandefromage":2akim6qk said:
...Nah, something to have aspired to 20 years ago if you were still rattling around on the tired well intentioned christmas or birthday bike...

Right, Sorry if I go on a bit here.

In 93 I was 14, and My best mate had let me have a go on his Muddy Fox Courier Mega: I needed a mountain bike.

I had a raleigh lizard, and quickly realised that it was not the pinnacle of MTB makers art. I trawled all the catalogues and fell head over heels with the Kona range, they really were unique, with their modern blackwall tyres, sloping top tubes, and straight legged forks. I nagged my parents for 7 months that I wanted a Fire mountain for my Birthday. I knew it was expensive, but I gave them enough notice! On my birthday, my parents excitedly ushered me into the garage, and under a sheet I found a Muddy Fox Pathfinder. Gutted.

I rode that Pathfinder everywhere for 2 years, by which time, I had a part time job, and bought a malt 1 from merlin cycles. But I never lost my love for the 93 Fire mountain.

So, when this came up on here for a criminally low price, I had to have it!

SAM_0325.jpg

Factory standard, except the saddle (Ritchey logic), Grips (ODI) and a nice set of period Magura HS11s. I never put a thread up, as I didn't think anyone would want to see a Fire Mountain! :facepalm:

She's a joy to ride. LGF, You won't be disappointed!

Back