The Joys and Pitfalls of RB'ing!!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I often favour badly listed items on eBay, for example I was looking for a specific freewheel at the start of the year.

One was well described with the model name and the number of teeth on each sprocket. It had been cleaned up for the pictures and looked very nice. It made over £20 with postage.

The other didn't even include the word "freewheel" in the listing (although it did have the make), was filthy in the one picture and didn't have much information. He did give information about its mechanical condition though. I was able to identify the type and count the teeth from the picture, so I took a punt. It was mine for £8 delivered and five minutes' work with a brush and degreaser had it looking as good as the expensive one.

That was a "win", it doesn't always happen like that but I've had more duds from "good" listings than "bad" ones.

Bob,

You have made a fair point, and i did the same thing yesterday with a set of brake calipers. However, yet again, the calipers do not include adjusters - which i only realised after i had bought them. I contacted the seller who has advised that they can be used without them; i have my doubts as i have a set of these and his answer was a bit 'illusive' when i asked how he used them.

Strangely this thread does make some good points for both buyers and sellers - if only i could take the advice on board!!!

Richard

Back