EDIT: It turned out to be a Mercian Strada Speciale

Re: Is this an Aende? If not, do you know what it is?

torqueless":1ac2tcuy said:
which parts of the frame should I take to help identify it?
especially underside where there may be a serial number,
Pongo NEVER stamped none of his frames! This was so the tax man could never actually see how frames he built a year :shock:

The rear shot in stay looks like one of Pongo's early jobs, so I reckon it IS an Aende ;)

Don't ask what model it is as there was never such a thing!

I hear you... I'm just not convinced yet, because whether or not this is an Aende, it is, as far as I can see, a doppelganger for a Mercian Strada Speciale as far as lugs/cutouts and seat cluster.

[/quote]Have a look at the pictures on the other thread... I assume it's the same frame
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=243766
IMO if anyone feels that this frame is 'long', or 'relaxed' it looks that way either because it's quite a small size, i.e. seat-tube/head-tube length, or because you're comparing it with an SWB Aende pure TT bike..[/quote]
I couldn't comment on the frame geo, I was just going by the tyre/frame clearances: there's a lot of room there.

All the Mercians I came across had a Frame number (we used the frame number on the invoice for work) so if it has a number on the BB then that might sort out any confusion.

Mercians were always well made and seemed very "delicate" with attention to detail which was one of their trademarks, crisp lug outlines and thin stays near the dropouts plus a smattering of chrome :)

I'm not knocking the race frames but he touring frames they made had the same attention to detail even if they didn't get above 15 MPH and loaded with a primus stove..

Shaun

I was just going by the tyre/frame clearances: there's a lot of room there.
I'm wondering if we are looking at the same bike... we're certainly not seeing the same bike.. :? or at least we have divergent opinions on what constitutes a "lot of room".
I could attempt to verify this by describing the colour, but someone has made that difficult.. :) Paintwise, I actually quite like the seatstays, the forks not so much.

so if it has a number on the BB then that might sort out any confusion.
Exactly... emphasis on the 'might'.. :) How about the steerer? Can we expect an Aende to have a number there? I guess not...

No Number on Aende Steerers AFAIK ........... Seen them with big slots cut out of them though, often lined up with slots in the headtube and x-ray plastic in between LOL

Shaun

I get the frame soon it's out for delivery so will update with photos etc once arrived.

Got the frame and pictures, no number stamped on the frame.

It's now in my brothers possession ready for a respray so hopefully these pictures are good enough :)

BB area
p4pb9260327.jpg

Dropout
p4pb9260323.jpg

Lugwork
p4pb9260322.jpg

p4pb9260319.jpg

p4pb9260317.jpg

p4pb9260316.jpg

p4pb9260314.jpg

p4pb9260312.jpg

p4pb9260311.jpg

p4pb9260309.jpg

p4pb9260305.jpg

That's nice, whoever made it..

I still see nothing (apart from lack of serial number) that doesn't say; "Mercian Strada Speciale", but someone else may. Of course it's not impossible that Pongo Braithwaite chose that Mercian model as a sort of 'base' on which to build his own interpretations, much like violin makers working with a Stradivarius 'model', and this is indeed one of his earliest, as Ian Raleigh suggested.. a straight-out homage... Or maybe it's the other way around and Mercian copped that style from an early Aende?

You could try asking Mercian.. They are still around and should be able to confirm or deny it's one of theirs. At the least, someone there should know the date the Strada Speciale was introduced. When did Pongo start? Late '70s sometime... anyone know? Anyway a few of his frames almost certainly predate the foundation of Aende..

The forks may or may not be original to the frame. No way of telling without numbers. Are the ends chromed like the rear?

Fork ends aren't chromed like the rear, and I have emailed Mercian several days ago. I also took these pictures for Mercian to identify.

An owner on Flickr told me it's a Mercian too. Also a guy shown me this ➡️ http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/mercian.html (near bottom of page) and it matches the bike near enough spot on.

I'll let you guys know what Mercian say. I should get a reply tomorrow.

Back