Jan Janssen "Tour de France"

Senri

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

Some weeks ago I was given a Peugeot Carbolite as I like to do some road trips again. Looking it over, it is really a bit low grade with the steel seatpost etc. Now I was looking on Internet for something a bit more upmarket for relative little money and I saw a Jan Janssen Tour de France. I can't find almost any info on it, so I don't know type of tubes, groupset or anything. I can get it for 80 euros, is it worth it or should I try for a Gazelle Chamion Mondial instead or similar? I like it to be dutch and classic.
Thanks for any input!

Here is the only picture (what are those brakes, adamas?)
$(KGrHqZ,!i!FCs07eYByBQ-tvqGmjg~~60_85.JPG

can't help with any specific information, but that looks like tight road race geometry, which in a lugged steel frame was usually a sign of quality. Hard to tell much more than that from this photo..could be a columbus sticker on the seat-tube? What you would pay for a Champion Mondial I don't know. If this frame is sound, the bike must be worth 80 euros.... a gamble.
You probably know all this already.....and what you would pay for a Champion Mondial...

I don't know this particular model, but the TdF's I've seen were quite nice. If the bike is in good working order I think € 80 is a good price. Looks like it could do with a wash and a lube, though. I have an early eighties TdF which was built by Vaneenooghe in Belgium.

Those brake calipers are not Adamas, or any other AX model for that matter. Looks more like a dual pivot sidepull.

This is what Adamas looks like on a Jan Janssen:

GroteFoto-I87M3LWQ.jpg

It is a proper bike, but is not collectable like a Champion Mondial or Batavus Professional. The CM is handbuilt in de little shop in Dieren and they were the roadbikes in the 80s Dutch peleton. The Professional was built in Heerenveen and the Dutch team raced them to many victories. The JJ is built elsewhere. In Belgium or Italy. JJ offered mid range to high end roadbicycles. For example they had a fillet-brazed Max tubing frame. I am not aware of a Jan Janssen being raced to success, apart from Mr. Janssen himself.

Thanks for the comments guys! Considering the budget, I am not really looking for a real collectable, but of course I like to put my money in a bike that keeps more or less its value if possible. A Champion Mondial could be bought, with a bit of luck, for around 100-150. I am not really sure about the geometry of the JJ, but the CM's are not square. Size 61 has a tt of 57.5 and maybe because of my own dimensions, I have learned that I like a longer tt, so let's say square. I just hope the JJ has that.

It will more or less 'hold its value'. There is not much room for depreciation left.

No, you are right. But you know how it goes, when checking it out at home, you think, ohh I actually should buy this and that, replace that etc. I rather do that on a bike that is found to be worth it. For me the geometry is more important, as the bike will be used for long routes.

Back