Show us yer FSR's

Well, I don't give up easy and came up with a better solution last night to get the pivots apart. I ended up making my own mini press, cost me about $2. I was able to get all of the pivots apart. I completely cleaned everything and put some militec grease on all the moving parts.

The end result was a huge improvement over how things were. The crazy stiction is gone and the compression is smooth, not as much as bearings, but still very good. Now if only I can find a betd link and a new shock ;)

nice work! that's similar to the way i got all mine out (i used my socket set and a rather ugly arrangement of bolts, nuts and washers to get all mine out!
i'm just ordering some new main pivot bearings (mine came with them already installed) but one of them has seized :( plus i'm having trouble with the main pivot connection - seems to need some other washers to help it fit together:

this is the current arrangement - which isn't working out:

IMG_0084_zps5995f9f7.jpg

not sure what the original setup looked like, so have nothing to go on really...

twain":2psynbq4 said:
nice work! that's similar to the way i got all mine out (i used my socket set and a rather ugly arrangement of bolts, nuts and washers to get all mine out!
i'm just ordering some new main pivot bearings (mine came with them already installed) but one of them has seized :( plus i'm having trouble with the main pivot connection - seems to need some other washers to help it fit together:

this is the current arrangement - which isn't working out:

IMG_0084_zps5995f9f7.jpg

not sure what the original setup looked like, so have nothing to go on really...

what's the part number for the bearings
also what size is the pivot bolt and nut
are the washers not just there to fill the gap that would have housed the nylon bushes originally

stumpjumper1990, the RS deluxe is what I have now, but thanks! I'm really looking for a fox float.

twain, I love those old x vert forks! If they were the yellow ones it would be pretty close looking to the original setup. My swingarm is the older style one I guess, even though its a 99. Its the one with the crooked bar in the middle, and it has bushings. So I'm not sure what original setup was on yours, but it looks pretty close to how mine was setup. All mine had was one big washer on the drive side. If you look in my pic with all the parts you can see it to the left of the big socket under the bushing. I'd take a picture of it for you but it was hell to get that thing back in. I had to "gently" hit it with a rubber mallet.

bigmick":22g5pcnt said:
what's the part number for the bearings
also what size is the pivot bolt and nut
are the washers not just there to fill the gap that would have housed the nylon bushes originally

bearings are 6000 2RS (ordering these already)
not sure what size pivot bolt and nut are but ID of bearings are 10mm - so guess the pivot bushing is - think its an M5 or M6 bolt that screws in the end of it.
the washers are there to take up the gap - think its about a 3-4mm gap. so will be sorting out some nylon washers rather than the metal ones that will eventually carve away the frame metal!
i'd just like to see what the original setup was like to get an idea of how to solve it properly or improve it.....

GlenPxC":2d256tn7 said:
stumpjumper1990, the RS deluxe is what I have now, but thanks! I'm really looking for a fox float.

twain, I love those old x vert forks! If they were the yellow ones it would be pretty close looking to the original setup. My swingarm is the older style one I guess, even though its a 99. Its the one with the crooked bar in the middle, and it has bushings. So I'm not sure what original setup was on yours, but it looks pretty close to how mine was setup. All mine had was one big washer on the drive side. If you look in my pic with all the parts you can see it to the left of the big socket under the bushing. I'd take a picture of it for you but it was hell to get that thing back in. I had to "gently" hit it with a rubber mallet.

thanks Glen. not sure i like the triple clamps - i have some orange single crown Xverts that i'd rather put on, but they need some new bushes.
i'll figure out the pivot bush and washer problem somehow. the bike is in storage now - had to get it built and out the lounge yesterday :p

twain":2lykwrv1 said:
recently rebuilt with some older parts :)

IMG_0087_zps1fa82841.jpg
Was in my former LBS (moved away) today and noticed they had a brand new FSR exactly the same as yours up on the wall. Funky build, single ring up front with a chain guide and Showa double crowns forks. Looked like it hadn't been even touched in 10 years. Almost creamed my daks, wants 200ish for the whole bike. Tempted, tempted. Also found some NOS 2001 Super T pros (150mm) 20mm axle. Looked at me like I was mad for wanting them. Offered him 105 and he accepted pending avaialability of seals. These ones
2001-SUPERT-w_1.jpg

I could build the slayeringest FSR ever!!!

Back